Food suggestion/ questions

common2man

A bit of backstory to start- a friend of mine recently found a pit mix puppy (approximately 5-6 months old now) that he couldn’t keep. We took him in and I tried to do a bunch of research surrounding high quality kibble, since my friend was feeding him Iams Puppy.

Over the last 2 weeks, we’ve been trying to slowly transition him from Iams to Instinct Raw Boost Puppy. The recipe I’m using is grain free and has freeze dried raw pieces in it, since we don’t have the time to go completely raw with him. We are at about half and half on the food right now, but he has recently started to get diarrhea. We had him at the vet last week (prior to this bout) and they said he was in perfect health. He has no other symptoms and otherwise acts completely fine, so my guess is that it’s related to the food.

My question is do we continue to transition to Instinct? Or is that what is causing the issue? My MIL also suggested Whole Earth Farms puppy recipe as that is what she feeds her dog- I haven’t done a lot of research into that brand so any insight would be nice! Also if we do decide to change, do we transition with all 3? Or is this one we should do cold turkey?

@common2man Neither grain-free (DCM) nor raw (pathogen risk to your dog, your household, and the broader community) is a very safe option for your dog. Stick with a WSAVA-compliant food, as those are backed by science and research, rather than by marketing budgets alone.

@jamesdb Agreed, sorry. I haven't done research personally but have a few friends who are vet techs or in vet school, as well as talking to my vets and noone recommends a raw diet or grain free. Unless your dog has special dietary needs, regular certified dog food (attractivenuisance says WSAVA, I'm not American so will piggyback that one) seems to be the best bet.

@common2man I agree with going with wasva compliant foods, which are iams, purina, hills, and royal canin. I personally like purina pro plan and purina one the best, but have had good experiences with royal canin though they can be more pricey.

@common2man I am 100% with the other comments saying to switch back to the kibble. Raw and Grain Free have a whole slew of issues. Many people swear by it, but it’s a great conversation to have with a veterinary nutritionist. My dogs are on Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin/stomach and I love the Pro Plan line. Do not listen to those who say vets and techs get paid for pushing these feeds. If they do, I must be missing out on the payouts 😅 the most we get are free measuring cups and on a super rare occasion lunch when being told about a new diet line. Purina does tons of research on their food with real vets and nutritionists on real dogs. No matter what you choose, I hope your pup feels better and you two have a long and wonderful life together 😊

Thank you all for the suggestions- given that the instinct formula is giving him diarrhea, should I still include some and try to transition him out of it? And mix all 3 formulas I have together?

Back