Food recommendation needed!

norwegianvikinh

She is currently on Hills Z/D but at $105 for 17 pounds it’s becoming unsustainable. I am looking for a WSAVA compliant adult food but it cannot have the following:

Egg (makes her violently ill)
Beef (makes her throw up)
White potatoes (skin gets inflamed)
Chicken (makes her itch)
Barley and beet pulp (makes her poop 8-10 times a day

@sevilodorf It was done in combination with her vet and their nutritional consultant from July through January. Process of elimination, journaling food and reactions. Allergy testing was also done but it turns out it was not accurate. I trust our vet implicitly.

@norwegianvikinh Elimination using a hydrolized protein diet?

The issue is that all retail diets are going to have a risk of cross contamination so only a prescription diet will be guaranteed to be safe.

If these are correctly diagnosed allergies there likely is no commercial alternative to a prescription diet. You could ask your vet and Purinas RX allergy diets which may be slightly but not significantly cheaper

@norwegianvikinh Given the list of allergens, I wonder if it's worth consulting with a veterinary nutritionist to formulate a home made diet? I know the Diet-Associated Cardiomyopathy group on Facebook has a list of veterinary nutritionist who are taking clients. It would likely be an expensive up front cost, but less expensive down the line.

I empathize with you, we had to do Hills Z/D for several months to rule out allergens. I feed Hills Perfect Digestion now, and while it has some ingredients I was concerned she'd react to, my girl does really well on it. There's something about the formula that gives her an iron gut, that might be worth checking out? (eta)

@norwegianvikinh I’m 99.99% sure there is no kibble that meets those requirements. You might have to be flexible with the barley and beet pulp if you want to get off prescription food. Purina’s hydrolyzed food may be a bit more affordable, I would consider that before a non-prescription food

@norwegianvikinh For a more affordable WSAVA compliant adult dog food that avoids your dog's specific allergens (eggs, beef, white potatoes, chicken, barley, and beet pulp), consider brands like Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic. Always consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog's diet.

@norwegianvikinh My dog is switching to Rayne rabbit . It’s a few dollars cheaper than RC hp which is her current dog food . She has been on Royal Canin for 6 plus months . We are introducing her first novel protein . I should add it’s vet prescribed

Back