First time tips?

4uallpraise

My doberman bitch is on her first breeding time, and I'm wondering whether I should just let the male mount or do assisted breeding. The male is experienced and is from my mentor breeder. They said they usually just let the male mount naturally, but I'm looking for a second opinion. The female is 2 years and 5 months, and the male is 3 years. They are both tested, and from good bloodlines. I also have a question about pricing the puppies. How much would they go for? Any other tips are welcome as well!

@4uallpraise I normally do a leash/leash introduction. See if the bitch is receptive. Testing her progesterone levels may be needed. If you can I like to let nature take it's course.

If the stud is experienced they can usually get the job done on their own with supervision. A maiden bitch can be cranky and get frightened so a slow introduction is what I like to do.

Pricing depends on titles etc. Are these show lines? Working lines? Is the stud a finished champion? Bitch?

@4uallpraise I usually keep the bitch on a leash personally because sometimes the bitch will get surprised or not be too happy about the experience, and that will keep the male safer, but not everyone does it like me. I prefer natural breedings, but I have assisted with an elderly male before. I'd probably ask your mentor about the price of puppies as price varies a lot between breeds and lines. Dobermans typically are much more expensive than my breed.

My tip is get progesterone testing always. You never know when you're going to end up with 1-2 puppies and need a c-section and timing is much easier on the front end of things.

@4uallpraise If the bitch is dog social and has not shown any issues I’d let them do their thing naturally, once they tie I would leash both dogs to keep them from moving around too much(especially if you have one that’s trying to walk around everywhere).

Back