First Time Dog Owner - What to Expect?

iada

Hey y’all, I am considering getting a dog and have two main questions:
  • What in my life I should I be prepared for in getting a dog? Compromises, difficulties, etc.?
  • I am seeking a companion that I hope can help me regulate myself on my tougher days. I know a dog can’t fix me or anything, but I’d like to think a dog can help me orient to my life and find a sense a home and constancy. Is this a reasonable expectation?
I feel ready for the most part to get a dog - I basically do nothing in my spare time except stare at my phone lol - but my friend has pushed pretty hard on me to really consider about the sacrifices, hence my first question. He thinks because I like to travel and go rock climbing outdoors it would be hard for me. I really travel 2-3 a year at most, but I do spend every other Saturday hiking or climbing outdoors for most of the day. Ideally I’d love to bring a dog with me on the times I go hiking, but I’d be willing to give this up tbh if it meant I would just have to chill at home more. I would appreciate anyone’s feedback here.

More context: I live in an apartment and want to get a small to mid size dog at least 4 years old (don’t think I could take on a puppy). I would take on a foster dog. I like to go on walks during the week and I think this would help me do it more.

@iada Mostly you need to be ready to spend a lot of money, lol. Vet bills, good food, enrichment, etc. You have more responsibility in that you can’t sleep in unreasonably late and you can’t stay out super late if your dog is at home. Trips can be difficult if you don’t have people willing to pet sit for you. If you get a dog who can go hiking with you there shouldn’t be any problems there, they’ll probably love it! Also, you have to consider that a dog will need training or maintenance of training and their will be an adjustment period where you and the dog are still learning how to live with each other.

Dogs are great companions and they’re good for people who struggle with mental health because they hold us accountable. We can’t mope around in bed all day because there’s a dog waiting to go potty or play or walk or be fed. You’re right that a dog won’t “fix” you, but they do bring happiness and meaning into your life.

Good luck on finding yourself a companion!

@tonyquart 1+ vet bills. Get pet insurance if/when you get a puppy/pet.

I have 2 pit bulls. 1 has no health problems, the other has all the health problems.

If you don't mind taking a dog on vacation with you. You can find pet friendly hotels as well.

But the above poster hit the main points, no staying out late, sleeping in late.

Puppy training is not easy. It's a child that doesn't talk. It requires alot of attention but they adapt to you. Be prepared for the first year to be able to take the dog out frequently for potty training, etc.

But if you have the money to spend vet bills, food, unexpected extras.

They are worth it if you know what you're getting yourself into. But well worth it. Good luck!

@iada The other people covered finances.

The time and responsibility is often a shock for people. A low energy adult dog can easily end up consuming 2-3 hours of your time a day. This does not change when you're sick, or busy, or on vacation. Puppies and higher energy dogs and dogs with high maintenance coats will need more.

I highly recommend fostering before committing to a dog.