First time dog owner (on my own)

@tmhna Labs aren’t prone to being overweight, it’s the owners feeding them too much. No dog is the cause of their weight unless there’s a health problem. If you feed them and exercise them properly, they will be fine.

Always recommend a golden or a lab. They’re fantastic dogs. There are many rescue resources about to get a young pup who needs a second chance on life.

Also, I would recommend checking local shelters. There are fantastic dogs that just got a bad start on life.

@tmhna A lab or a golden sounds like a very good match. They fit your exercise plans, they're trainable, friendly, eager to please. Young ones can be a bit crazy though.

Beware that there is a split between working and show lines in lans and goldens. A show line is a much better fit for you. Working lines are quite intense.

Labs also are not supposed to be fat. They really like food and people overfeed and under exercise them. If you feed your dog the appropriate amount of food for their size and activity level, they will not be fat (unless they have a health issue like hypothyroid, but then the health issue needs to be treated).

Staffies aren't quite what you're looking for. They're impulsive, have a high prey drive, can be a bit stubborn, and are dog selective/aggressive.

how true is it that staffys are agressive with other dogs?

They are prone to same sex aggression, dog selectivity, and general dog aggression.

@tmhna Some staffies are sweet and some have killed other dogs. So socialize, socialize and socialize and do it well if you want one.

Lab might be okay for you but their personality is being a silly vacuum. Most will eat everything they see, edible or not. They are also very active when they are young so be sure you have the means to match that or you will have a tornado in your house.

@tschau Staffordshire bull terriers are genetically prone to dog selectivity and aggression, "socialize, socialize, socialize" (in the way that most ppl think socialization is) prob won't do anything. People wanting any terrier breed (but especially the bull-terrier breeds) should learn how to train neutrality around dogs so aggression-reactivity around strange dogs on walks is less of a concern.

@tmhna Labs are awesome dogs! But they aren’t low shed - you’ll find short little hairs everywhere, and they stick like burrs. They tend to be overweight because they are food motivated and owners overfeed - it is definitely possible to have a fit lab, but it will be on you to be mindful of how much you are feeding and treating them.

Goldens are similar - and if you grew up with them, you know that they are high shed dogs.

If you want a medium size dog that doesn’t shed, and is active and friendly, consider a standard poodle or a standard schnauzer. Standard poodles tend to be more eager to please and are highly trainable. You don’t have to keep them in a typical poodle cut if you don’t like the look - Google “poodle teddy bear cut” and you’ll see what I mean. Schnauzers are also great but tend to be a bit more stubborn. Both breeds need to be taken to a groomer every 6-8 weeks or so, unless you learn to groom at home.

@tmhna Staffordshire bull terriers are prone to aggression with dogs because they were bred for it. But if bred, trained, and socialized correctly, they shouldn't be at the end of their leash lunging at random dogs.

Labradors are prone to obesity because many of them can't feel full and some people just give them as much food as they want. However, some lines of labs look wide even at a healthy weight because of their skeletal and muscular structure. They were bred to retrieve ducks in freezing water and that body shape helped support that.

Whippets tick all of the boxes except being easily let off-leash.

I would look into english cocker spaniels and the other spaniel breeds if I were you. Showline spaniels seem to fit a lot of your needs. Spaniels are long haired but I am pretty sure most of them are single coated and can be cut short. This sub tends to give the advice of goldens or labs automatically to first time owners. They are great dogs in my opinion, but they are usually "good enough but probably not exactly what the OP is looking for".

@sigkosin I read that spaniels are not very good with people they don’t know, and they get very anxious around people who are not their owner, and get agressive too. I’m not sure if it’s true, but my mom was also bit by a spaniel so I’m not sure.

@tmhna When they're bred and socialized properly that isn't the case. American cocker spaniels specifically tend to be nervy and aggressive when they aren't bred right.

Dog shows are generally a good way to interact with well bred dogs if you can go to one.