First Time Dog Guardian - he's getting neutered on Thursday. Give me your tips please. I'm a tad anxious

kg706

I think I am pretty clear on most of this but there are some variations so your insight is appreciated! This is the kind of stuff my vet answers vaguely when I ask and maybe it is a case-by-case basis?

1) I need to make sure he limits all activity (no jumping, stairs, or hopping up on the bed) for 7-14 days

What is the best way to do this? He is an Anatolian-Husky so very active and very large dog. Are drugs the surest way? If so, which are best? He responds well to a brand of CBD I have at home (it mellows him out for 6-8 hours).

Should I make a bed for myself on the floor? He sleeps with me about 60% of the night as it is now.

2) I need to monitor the surgery site for infection, opening sutures etc

I am a small business owner so should I stay home 24/7 with him for at least a few days or can I leave for an hour or two here and there by day X?

3) I need to keep him from licking it with a cone collar

I've tried practicing with the collar, giving him treats, etc but he really really hates it. Do I simply not give in and not take it off no matter what? Are there other ways to prevent licking?

-4) I need to keep him calm

I have been working on his excitability with visitors, deliveries, other dogs outside for some weeks now and he's gotten a lot better (less intensely excited) but is not yet chill. Should I avoid having his favorite people come by to visit?

Again, this sub saved my sanity when I inherited him as a 6 month old puppy while I was deep in grief. We have both come a long way and I want to make SURE I do this part correctly.