First time adopter

neco

My partner and I are planning to adopt. I want to be sure we are fully prepared. What are some good resources for information on adopting a rescue? What things should we anticipate to be prepared to address generally? We both work from home and basically have a massive 50 block park across the street. Outside of food, play, walking and excercise what things should we prepare to start doing during early days?

@neco It really depends on the dog and what their personality and history is. Shelter life is super stressful, so remember to give the dog plenty of time to decompress in their new home! The first few weeks should be super calm. Let the dog figure out their new routine and settle in before doing things like inviting a lot of people or other dogs over. I’ve seen too many dogs returned to the shelter because the day after adoption they had a house party or some other exciting/stressful event and the dog behaved badly. Look up the shelter dog rule of 3.

Thank you for giving a dog a loving family!

@neco My rescue has been with us for 7 years, and she STILL doesn't trust other dogs -- we've had trainers, and have continuously worked on her socialization, but she is very picky towards what other dogs she allows in her space, and will fight them otherwise.
I guess be prepared (have an alternative space) for a dog that can't go to the dog park.

@neco I worked in a rescue shelter for years, so hopefully can offer some good advice.

It takes a dog a long time to settle in. A few days to stop panicking, a few weeks to learn your routine, a few months or longer to feel safe and at home. During these first 3-6 months try to keep your life as consistent as possible with as few dramatic events as possible (eg overnight guests, house parties, holidays). They will need to build trust with you first, so until they feel safe with you, avoid intense external situations like busy dog parks, farmers markets, coffee shops. Walk at quiet times in quiet areas until you get to know each other better. If getting onto a lead and harness is too stressful at first, don’t do it. A few days not going for a walk while you build trust isn’t going to cause long term problems.

Be very patient - they may not interact with you at all for a while, they could be nervous or withdrawn. They might not eat until you’re out of sight, they might not want to be in a room with you. Be predictable and consistent. They will most likely be emotionally exhausted - give them time and space to sleep uninterrupted while they adjust. Shelters are traumatic. Don’t do any of the hard but unnecessary stuff for a while - I’m talking baths, hair and nail trims, wiping eyes - unless it’s absolutely crucial.

Positive reinforcement at all times for all things. It’s impossible to know all of the trauma a rescue dog carries - raised voices, harsh tones or negative reinforcement can set them back a long way.

Most good rescues will do a few meet-and-greets with your potential dog before committing to the adoption. Ask LOTS of questions of them - they want it to work as much as you do.

Think about your lifestyle and what type of dog will suit your family. If you’re active then a dog that can handle this, if not then perhaps some breeds won’t suit you. Terriers, retrievers, sight hounds all have different characteristics and like to play and learn in different ways - understanding this will help you support your adopted dog.

A handful of toys is useful. Not too many at first. Watch for any resource guarding behaviour - this can extend to toys, food, spaces in your house and even people. It can be trained out with patience, but not being aware of it can get you bitten.

@neco Ask every question you possibly can to the rescue and foster parent. The foster parent is such a valuable resource for information on the dog! I would look into what veterinary practices you can establish care with before bringing the pet home. You can also look into pet insurance. Pet insurance is so important and not all companies are created equal. I use Pumpkin for my own pets, but I’ve heard good things about Embrace.
It is also important to know that a rescue dog needs a lot of time to settle into their new life. Don’t be discouraged if the first few months are hard! It is so worth the wait and your bond will be so much stronger.
I would recommend crate training from day one. You never know when your dog will need to be crated (illness, injury, etc) so having them comfortable in their crate is extremely helpful.

Back