feeding post anal gland surgery

edgemon03

hello! my chihuahua just got home from an anal gland surgery performed late yesterday. one gland was removed. he’s a normal amount of uncomfortable but awake, walking around, and very hungry.

the vet’s assistant/wife told me to feed him a tbsp of broth, but the info paper said feed half the normal amount if hungry. i’ve fed him about a tbsp of mostly carrots w some bits of beef and about three tbsp of broth. he’s desperately searching the floor for food still. would anyone recommend feeding more? up to half his normal amount? and any suggestions on what to feed during recovery?

i know these are basic q’s but the actual vet wasn’t in during pickup and the asst that suggested i feed one tbsp of broth seems to only handle paperwork it’s a little questionable yk, so i couldn’t ask for much advice i fear and the vet will likely be out all week. D: .. i’m reading up on post op care a lot but any advice from real people would be very helpful! this is my dog’s first surgery ever so i am kind of freaking out lol

Back