Farmers Dog food is now a Diamond WSAVA partner

@hrt4desh It’s good to see that they’re investing in research and expertise but important to note that this does not mean the brand meets the highest standards for pet food in the areas identified by WSAVA in their nutrition guidelines. I hope they move in that direction but it remains to be seen.

@aubie2 They do have an expert on staff — though their key DACVN is far outside the veterinary consensus on a variety of topics including DCM and many of the diets he has helped formulate including blue Buffalo have been implicated. But that’s not the only standard by a long shot.

they use copacking facilities and they don’t do AAFCo feeding trials. They spin some cock and bull about conducting feeding trials that are “better” than AAFCO which really just means they are not controlled.

They also have no published peer reviewed research.

@sevilodorf Thanks! I can look it up too, but do you have a link on the DACVN and their work?

I went back and reviewed the answers, and when I got to question 3 that was my main concern -- That they didn't mention they publish in a peer reviewed paper, only that they are available upon request.

I also wanted to call them and ask what they think about having "pulses" or legumes as a huge part of the recipe.

I will keep mixing it with my dogs dry food - Merrick. I don't think I could ethically switch to only feeding him Farmer's dog.

@txpete His name is Ryan Yamka. He has worked for boutique brands for years and recently has engaged in tons of DCM denial despite clear vet consensus the opposite direction

@jesmo The text of the press release means that Farmers Dog is going to be providing resources for WSAVA initiatives and participating in several of their working groups.

Back