Family dog whines but for good reasons; healthy solutions?

amitkeebali

For context, I am currently living with my immediate family and two beautiful black labs, B and K. They are both the sweetest goofballs we’ve ever had. I am not the primary caretaker of these dogs, heck I’m not really much of a pet person, but recently I have been home more often and have found myself being the only one home with the two dogs.

Now B is on the older side and is the whiner in question. She whines when she is not being pet, and when people are leaving the house, and when people are in the same room as her and ignoring her. She also whines when she needs to be let out to go relieve herself but those are different sounds and I typically notice them right away. Usually whining is not a problem that needs to be solved or worked around, but my ADHD makes very hard to focus when I hear it. And I know she whines because she loves us, and I could never live with myself if I punished a dog for loving me too hard. Are there any tips or tricks I could use to get B more accustomed to not being pet?

New to the sub, but heard about you guys from a friend. Thanks!