encouraging a puppy to play, and toys for a dog who isn’t interested in toys?

doawk1993

I have a 9 month old livestock guardian breed puppy. She loves attention, but she doesn’t like playing much. I should rephrase… She loves wrestling. But she isn’t allowed to wrestle with people, so I’d like to convince her to play with toys. Tug, at least. But she’s been very uninterested in any toys I’ve shown her. I’ve gotten her to be interested in a toy enough to chase it when I threw it a grand total of 6 different occasions, and she even automatically played fetch automatically a few times! But in general, she doesn’t like to play.

The few she was interested in were larger plush squeaky toys, but she lost interest in them very quickly.

@doawk1993 This is quite typical of livestock guardian dogs. They are not retrievers and probably do not have a great capacity for the usual domesticated dog games that love to play tug, fetch etc.

I had a livestock guardian dog for 16 years. He retrieved a ball once and when I threw it again, he sat down and looked at me with an expression like, 'no, I don't do that..' and he never did again despite all the coaxing and training I tried.

My dog liked one on one interactions like playing hand on hand on the floor. I'd place my hand on the floor and he'd put his massive paw over mine and then I'd put my hand on top and so on. That was a big win for me with my dog.

My dog loved his walks, loved snuggling up to me and love being patted and made a fuss of. He loved being brushed and being adored. But games such as retrieving - no.

I managed a few simple commands like sit, lay-down and come. When he was young he'd get the zoomies which were amazing and occasionally he'd play catch me if you can outside....

I think you will find there will be some games he will take to - but I honestly think his genes are probably starting to kick in at this age and he may be showing tendencies to lay-down and watch and listen in a serene, reclined position - to make sure his humans are okay (and that is his best fun game).

This doesn't mean to say that you cannot interact with him and have a loving and close relationship with your dog but perhaps do the research on livestock guardian dogs and you will see that they just like hanging around you. Certainly not like many other domesticated breeds that are actually genetically bred for retrieving etc.

I would research training your dog for crate training - which is a slow progressive training regime and should be done over a long period. This is a skill that can be turned into a game and may assist when you need to take him to the vet for a stay, boarding or even if your home environment is unsuitable for him for a short periods - like visitors coming over and things not being done the way you want your dog to experience them.

I think an important skill and knowledge to keep at the back of your mind is that if you have someone come to visit who is not going to be a friend - like a tradesman or similar - do not allow them to interact with the dog. Keep the dog with you and do not allow that kind of visitor to make friends with the dog at all.

This will ensure that your dog understands some people are not allowed over the threshold without your allowing them to enter and it may reduce or eliminate any misunderstandings on their and your dog's behalf going forward. This is their primary role, making sure that their 'herd' are safe so you can harness this by letting them know who is allowed to enter the hers (your family's domain) and who must either not be allowed or must come in under your supervision.

Edited to add - the squeaky toys would have raised your dog's interest due to the distress noise -but when it learned that it was not in distress and not edible - end of game.

@paulx2016 I should clarify further: she is a working dog on a farm. She has had that tendency to lay down and watch since she was 4-5 months old, actually! She’s usually very lovely as a guardian-in-training, she just gets too energetic and wants to wrestle and chase sometimes, and I’d like to redirect her towards toys instead if possible. When she gets too excited, she startles the chickens (though she’s never hurt one).

All of your information was great though! She’s already crate trained. We’re also working on muzzle training (willingly putting her muzzle on) just to make sure she‘s good with that.

I actually want her to be as friendly as possible with strangers, because my farm has a gas line running through it and workers from the company come by to trim plants along it and inspect it regularly. That’s why I got an especially friendly puppy from a breeder who works with Karakachans

@doawk1993 Honestly could playing chase be the game? I only have a little dog, a 10 pound Portuguese Podengo, but one of her FAVORITE games is her holding her ball on her mouth and us chasing after her “trying” to get it.

@doawk1993 So having a friendly livestock guardian dog is a super bonus if you have workers coming and going and you want the dog to accept this. But be aware, should the workers stray into an area your dog is not comfortable with then your dog may commence the stand back command - loud barking, standing inbetween them and the perceived victim etc. It's awesome to see and exactly why they are so treasured by farmers all over the world now.

Sounds like you have a young dog who has some extra energy - and so glad you can see the joy of her watching and listening. It will not be too long before that extra energy settles down.

When my dog was super young and wanted to run off that energy I took him to a property where he could run for miles and dive into a dam for a cool off. Getting him home in my car was always a challenge because he would shake and drench me lol.

So pleased to know your dog is a working dog and has the space and the opportunity to live out his genetics. It's been a long time since my dog died but I still miss him.

Sorry I wasn't able to be helpful with strategies for the extra energy though.

@doawk1993 Have you tried a flirt pole?
I don’t have the same breed type, but do have a dog with little to none interest in toys.
But when I got the flirt pole with a fluffy end, she loved it! Can get 15 mins of play before she gets bored. I guess it taps into her prey drive, and oh boy does she have one of those!!

@nt4maximusd I’ll try one! Another person elsewhere also recommended a flirt pole + that she might be more interested in predator fur, so I ordered a couple tugs made from raccoon and coyote. We’ll see how she feels about them once my order arrives. Thanks for the suggestion!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Karakachan (Bulgarian Shepherd), Anatolian Shepherd, Great Pyrenees cross!

Australian Shepherds and Australian Cattle Dogs are herders, not guardians. Guardians don’t herd: they just stay with the livestock and watch out for predators. Herders tend to be very high energy and playful (like the famous Border Collie), while livestock guardians are more relaxed, indepenent, and serious. Hence why she’s not into toys, lol

@doawk1993 I have an Aussie and he doesn’t always fetch but he seems to kind of know how, but I never had a retriever before so maybe if I did I’d say in comparison my Aussie doesn’t retrieve well lol