Dry Heaving All Day

masdamind99

Hello. My family has a 9 year old chocolate lab who has been dry heaving for most of the day. 95% of the time nothing comes up. We did get an x-ray in his throat a week ago but it didn't find anything. One other thing to note is he does have pretty bad allergies.

Has anyone experienced something like this without it being a serious condition / situation?

@masdamind99 Vet visit could do it, typically takes about a week for symptoms to show but I think mine picked it up at a dog park so he was at a higher risk of exposure. I’d film it to show the vet if it continues. After a day or two it mostly showed when he would get up from resting, agitation would trigger it.

@masdamind99 Is it actually dry heaving or reverse sneezing? Dry heaving is typically a symptom of something very serious and you should go to a vet immediately. Reverse sneezing is pretty normal and my dog does it pretty often.

@kasparq I believe it is dry heaving because on occasion something does come up. I watched a couple videos of the reverse sneeze and I don't think it is that. I think we will get him an appointment in the morning.

@masdamind99 Have they done bloodwork? What about xrays or ultrasound of lungs/abdomen?

My golden started dry heaving / regurgitating food this last week, after a month of being picky with food. Turns out, she probably has cancer. Not to scare you, but she’s about the same age and seemed totally fine prior to this whole ordeal.

@yarash45 He's going back to the vet tomorrow and we are going to up for blood work and an ultrasound (he had an x-ray of his throat 3-4 weeks ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of cancer or tumor but his diet really hasn't changed in recent weeks.

Did your vet say why potential cancer in your golden is connected to consistent dry heaving?

@masdamind99 Well, this will be lengthy. She had been picky with food the past month or so, I remedied with wet food (still very uncommon for her, she eats EVERYTHING). Then, it turned into her puking and regurgitating food, sometimes dry heaving before eating and then flat out refusing anything but chicken and rice. Obviously without eating normally, she lost weight.

We did bloodwork and it was terrible, high white blood cell counts, liver counts super low. Couldn’t find a source of pain by palpating her stomach and everywhere else. She was pitiful. Wouldn’t do much other than sleep and she’s been an active senior golden. Vet suggested an appetite stimulant to get her to eat and ultrasound (vs xrays). Ultrasound showed lesions on her spleen and a mass internally that had good bloodflow to it. Would be rather difficult to remove at her age and because it has good bloodflow to it. Was referred to a veterinary oncologist for an exploratory surgery and possible mass removal and to see what else is going on in there, plus chemo. But vet suggested palliative care instead, as she declined so quickly and at her age (10+ yr, unsure, she was a street rescue), it would only buy us a little bit of time. He said without biopsy, we wouldn’t know for sure if it was cancer, but the likelihood is very high that it is, and that it’s spread to other areas that we can’t see without exploratory surgery.

So we are just opting for palliative care, which she’s doing well with so far. She’s getting elaborate home cooked meals, appetite stimulants, steroids and lots of love and treats. I’m also 9mo pregnant, due any day and as much as I want to sink thousands of dollars into her, I financially and physically cannot.

Definitely talk to your vet, although it may be a little costly. Cancer can be a sudden thing, going undetected for a long time. Hopefully, that’s not the case for your pup.

Replying to add:

Dry heaving and regurgitating could potentially be linked, vet said that the mass may be pushing on her stomach and causing discomfort or it’s just making her feel so unwell that she wouldn’t eat/keep food down.

Back