Dry food selections with S+OX shield for dog with several allergies

donetta

Greetings friends! I’m having a super hard time and would love to know if anyone else is in my same or similar situation and what you feed your dog child.
I have an 8 year old 15 pounder who is allergic to chicken, sweet potato, pea protein and red lentils.
Recently he’s been getting very bad UTIs and my vet put him on Hills d/d wet food. Currently that’s $70 for 12 days of food and I’m looking for something more affordable as well as it being a dry food because we travel. It’s so hard to find food for him because of his allergies, so my vet said to find dry food with S+OX Shield; hydrolized chicken might be ok since it’s hydrolized but I’d love to know if anyone knows of something completely without his allergens.
Thank you if anyone has any suggestions!!

@donetta
my vet said to find dry food with S+OX Shield

This means prescription only food. Hills has the largest line of anti-crystal diets. Royal Canin is second. Purina is the cheapest prescription line, but has the fewest anti-crystal options.

hydrolized chicken might be ok since it’s hydrolized

Hills hydrolyzed diets are not shielded. Royal Canin HP small dog, Royal Canin urinary SO+HP, and Blue HF are all hydrolyzed and shielded for anti-crystal.

@brennanskates I’m so sorry for the delay! I didn’t get a reply notification so I just assumed no one commented. Thank you so much for this info! I found that Hills z/d is shielded but used hydrolyzed chicken. We are giving it a shot (he’s allergic to poultry) and so far it’s been a good transition. Thank God! This has been a crazy and expensive month!! Thanks again, and sorry again!

@hemispheres Thanks for this! I’m so sorry for the delay! I never got a reply notification so I just assumed no one commented. We are trying out Hills z/d right now , hopefully he can stay on that. It’s hydrolyzed chicken so hopefully he can continue tolerate it since he is allergic to poultry. I’m a little reluctant on the one from RC you shared because of the chicken fat. But thanks so much for taking the time to look for something for me! I really appreciate it!

Back