Dry dog food advice

steve73v

We have a 3 year old Pomsky. She’s always been a picky eater. She wouldn’t want to eat the same dry food again after a few times. She would gobble it down when the bag is new but wont even touch it from day 3.

It has gotten to a point where she’d rather starve herself but eat the dry food. So we mix it up with different brands and types that she preferred but after few days of kibble mixology lessons, we’re back to square 1. We have used dry food topper, mix it with wet food, and sometimes steamed vegetables.

Steamed vegetables and cooked eggs over the dry food has worked the best but that is still not a long term solution.

I’ve heard that dry dog food products are not made as sustainably and safely as human food and it is not regulated by FDA. Could it be the reason that my dog doesn’t like the food because it’s not good for her or something? We have used Hill’s science, Royal Canin, purina, Kirkland, Taste of the wild, wag, and what not in last three years and none of these would work permanently.

She would always gobble down freshly cooked food that we prepare for her. But not with dry food. If we mix dry food with wet, she’ll lick all the wet food the best she can and hardly touch the dry food.

I’m open for suggestions regarding brands to consider, strategies to work on, or anything that’d work. We have kids, jobs and no external help so, we can’t cook for her always! Any solutions or suggestions to get her to eat dry food are welcomed!

TDLR: Dog doesn’t like dry food so far. Have tried multiple brands over the course of 3 years. Looking for suggestions.

@steve73v I own a picky eater and had your routine for a while. Then found.... She LOVES Bixby Liberty Fresh Catch (Petsmart & Chewy to purchase) it has the nutrients you care to spoil them with, and it's steamed! Steamed, so the meat is still there as much as possible. That was the game changer. I also realized by her pickiness that I needed to buy smaller bags instead of the 30lb bag. As fresh as possible, she tells me... and I have had no issues since. Good Luck!

@servadac I always thought wet food for every meal might be too heavy. But I guess we will continue.

Also for a Pomsky, she is super large. About 40 lbs. and not because she’s fat but because she is just huge overall!

Back