Dominance issues...?

necton

My family have three border Collies on a farm. They get lots of exercise but never received formal training so they are mediocre sheep dogs at best, but wonderful pets, and I think they really enjoy their lives. They are a mum S (9) and two daughters J (6) & F (4).
However, we have some mild behavioural issues with J related to dominance. S rules the roost, she is a great dog mam and was always firm but fair with the other two. She doesn't care what they do as long as they don't annoy her and they all get pets. F just wants love and is very gentle and timid. J is not the smartest and can be a bit cross but is gentle at heart. We have issues with her over-asserting dominance with F. She nips her when she thinks we aren't looking, glares at her when treats are given out and stops her from eating until she has eaten. When I pet the dogs I always pet J last so she doesn't growl at F. I worry that it's a bit much for F as she won't take treats from me on occasion if J is watching and she can be very nervous.
S sometimes seems to get pissed off with this behaviour and a simple look will stop J in her tracks.

I know that pack mentality means they have a hierarchy but is there anything I can do to calm J or show her that she and F can coexist without war? We treat them all equally with a little more care for S because she is arthritic.

@necton Resource gaurding is the key word to search. Mine! by Jean Donaldson is a great place to start, but it focuses more on human directed RG than dog directed RG.

@necton I don't know too much about pack behaviour with hersing dogs. But it sounds like J is trying to get make sure she is the number two and eventually the number one in the house. it seems like this power dynamic between the dogs is completely decoupeled from the humans in your household. In some way, you will have to accept this as it is very normal for dogs to assert dominance in some way. Trying to change this artificially could lead to revanchism of J towards the other kid and in worst case lead to more aggressive behaviour. Try to keep it from getting worse and always stop unacceptable behaviour. I Normally I would say keep them occupied but, I mean, they are farm dogs. It doesn't get better for Border Collies :D

Back