Dogs w/Cancer - Looking for personal experiences of using Toceranib Phosphate Compound vs Palladia

sastian

I have an 11y/o Shiba Inu who was just diagnosed with Level III Mast Cell. It came out of nowhere real quick. Vet prescribed the industry standard, Palladia, for treatment but the cost is roughly $30/day, indefinitely. The compound is only $3/day (on chewy). While I am a do anything for my pup kind of person, I think it’s best to look at options considering the striking difference in cost.

Looking for anyone who can share their experience if they used the compound versus the brand name for their pup in the same condition. If you know of any scientific studies, please share. Ultimately plan to follow the course of treatment prescribed but is the compound is a viable alternative than may consider. Also waiting on response from vet on same query.

USA options only. Thanks so much.

@sastian Did you get any answers? My dog is supposed to start Palladia in 2 months but I can't afford it. I found Toceranib Phosphate compounded on chewy and it's actually affordable. Is it the same thing?

@sb_ I am sorry for the delay, I did not. The vet sent me plenty of studies to read that frowned on the compounds because they had varying (unpredictable) rates of absorption, etc. The oncologist I went to our near San Diego (several hours from my house) is renowned in the field of study, teaching at UC, having written extensively about the subject, and was head for the VCA.

That being said, the cancer spread so quickly that it ruptured on his chest and the wounds because necrotic and wouldn’t heal. He was only on Palladia for two weeks…we had to say goodbye to him today.

Good luck, it’s a hard spot to be in because of costs. Having a pup like him was very rewarding, but it is very difficult right now.