Dog tag that doesn’t stain fur?

loveforgod123

Hello 🐾

My 2 year old golden doodle has grey fur on his chest - I’m guessing from his id or collar. We keep them on 24/7 because he can’t be trusted. He keeps licking the area. The vet has suggested we get a new one.

Any ideas on id tags and collars that don’t stain?

Thanks In advance :)

@loveforgod123 Maybe one of the ones that sit directly on the collar so it doesn't dangle and he can't lick it? They're called no noise tags or something like that. It's a metal tag that has a rubber type thing on each end that will let the collar slip through it. Or you could just get a collar that is embroidered with info directly on it maybe?

I've never experienced a collar itself causing color changes to coat so I'm not sure on that. But we keep collars off inside the house and only put them on if we are going somewhere or outside bc I have multiple dogs that like to pull collars and accidents happen. When I worked at a dog daycare my.dog almost was strangled bc his collar got wrapped around another dogs jaw and twisted so tight it took a scary amount of time to get it off even though it was a quick release.

@loveforgod123 You can try clear nail polish on the tags in the meantime while you look for something you like. If he isn’t a chewer you could try resin or silicone ID tags; if he is a chewer then a collar tag will probably be your best bet.

@loveforgod123 Usually this is from the metal. Look for a plastic or silicone dog tag. You can also search for "metal free" or "no metal" dog collars if the rings are touching the fur enough to discolor it.

Plastic tags from Pixsqueaks were enough to stop the discoloration on my dogs, but they have kangaroo leather tag collars with plastic buckles, so the only metal is from the tag ring.

@loveforgod123 Get a collar with details printed / embroidered on to the band. I use silicone tags, they are fab. But personally i would never leave a collar on. At least use a beakable one

@loveforgod123 Try a rolled leather collar with a name plate instead of a dangling tag. The rolled leather causes less friction and matting than traditional collars, which is important if your doodle wears it all the time. If you have to keep rabies tags on per state/local laws and it's metal, buy a tag cover.