Dog suddenly squinting, IOP 32 at emergency vet

harikrish

I just got back from the emergency vet after noticing my dog suddenly squinting and uncomfortable with one eye. We had just gotten back from a walk, and she ate a whole bowl of food as readily as she always does. Outside of the sudden squinting, she has been behaving normally all day.

The emergency vet did an eye pressure test, and one eye was 24 and the other was 32. While this does not seem as high as some glaucoma posts that I have read, it is worrying me. She was prescribed Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc ointment, while I will apply 2-3 times a day for the next week.

The emergency vet was pretty hurried and did not discuss this with me very much, so I am asking here to try to make sense of what is going on. Should I be worried about Glaucoma? Could some trauma to the eye elevate the IOP to 32? Hoping to get some opinions on what could be going on.

My dog is a 6 year old Anatolian Shepherd.

Species: Dog
  • Sex/Neuter status: Spayed
  • Breed: Anatolian Shepherd
  • Body weight:~100 lbs
  • History: Healthy
  • Clinical signs: Sudden squinting, discomfort in eye
  • Duration: 4 hours
  • Your general location: SE USA
  • Links to any test results, X-rays, vet reports etc. that you have: IOP 24 in one eye 32 in other eye, prescribed Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc ointment

Back