Dog sits down on walks when we don't go "his" way. Is now sitting down in the house as well e.g going outside to pee (holding bladder)

My dog is a 3 1/2 year old Labradoodle. We adopted him off a friend who could no longer have him. He's gentle, listens to sits/stay, doesn't bother my cat at all and IMO a really good lad.

We took him on his first walk (local park, no one there 5pm>) and he went fine! The next day we took him he started to sit down instantly if we didn't go his way on the walk and when we turned around to go home. He would sit down and dig his heels in. Doing light tugs on his leash does nothing, he doesn't fall for lures either. We sat down for 20min + ignoring him and he still didn't give up. Thankfully he now trusts me to pick him up (he would go to bite on the first few times) and I can carry him when we get stuck in the middle of the damn road.

This all started at the park and now he is doing it at home. He was quick to toilet train and hasn't done a mess inside yet. However, now when we take him (even in the morning after 6-8 hours) he just sits right at the door and won't follow any further to the backyard. When we do get him into the backyard he will sit just before the grass starts and then pull the opposite way (go inside). He even does it with the stairs to go to my room, he will sit down at the bottom and look out the front (as in, TAKE ME TO THE PARK) and then lay down and sulk (I just go upstairs and ignore him and 5min later he runs upstairs and lays down).

Tldr: Dog will sit down if we don't go his own way.

What do we do? It's getting worse and worse as the days go on and his protests are going to cause him to get a UTI.

@sheamusofcountycork Firstly, am I correct in seeing that you’ve only had him a few days? It’s super early days! This sounds like a bit of anxiety around the routine and environment.

I work in rescue/rehab for ex-racing dogs, and freezing is a really common behaviour for when they are feeling overwhelmed. Pumping the breaks is a highly effective/functional behaviour. Practising puzzle games like 1,2,3,treat is a great way to get moving again :) but if the problem persists it would be worth a vet check up to rule out physical pain, and to review the gear to ensure the harness isn’t pinching/chafing or anything like that.

Just try to stick to a very strict routine of toileting and the exact same walks for the first few weeks while your dog settles in. Your dog needs to learn what to expect, what the rhythm of their day is like in their new home (when it’s park time and when it is not), otherwise they are just going to set their own expectations of you! :)

@sheamusofcountycork So this is the coolest dog trick I ever learned... My girl does this too and the BEST thing I've found to circumvent it is to turn your dog around 180 degrees or force them to walk around in a circle.

When your dog is sitting like a rock facing the way that they'd prefer to go, slide your hands down the leash until there's only a couple inches between your hand and your dog's collar. Take a couple steps in the direction that they want to go and then use spatial pressure to turn them around 180 degrees (basically, if your dog is on your left turn left into them so that they also turn left to get you out of their space). As you get close to both facing the direction that you want to go, maybe 20 to 30 degrees off, start running for a few steps to make your dog want to chase you and to reward them with motion. At least for my dog, this works on the first try about 90% of the time and on the second try 100% of the time. I don't remember which website I first read this on, but I was very skeptical. It works so well though, it's like a reset button for their little pea brains.

@sheamusofcountycork Not sure if this will fully solve your problem, but my dog does something similar on walks (and escalated into a full blown hissy fit if I dare not go her way). Thankfully I think she’s too fond of her personal comfort to hold in her urine. Two things that have helped are: 1. Heel training: we started in the house and now she can heel up and down the block off leash with me. 2. Back and forth drills (idk what else to call them?), but basically I’ll just walk like the most indecisive human ever. So we’ll make a turn and 10 feet later I’ll “change my mind” and we’ll go back a different way. It helps to reduce the association of, “we’re going this way so we will keep going this way.” We’re at the point where she’ll at least humor me for a minute to go my way, and then often I can get her into a heel and then throw some kibble ahead to distract her. If the backyard in particular is a problem maybe try leaving for a walk through the backyard (if you have a gate), or switch it up and have him go pee out front.

Another thing. You mention your dog doesn’t respond to lures, is there anything else he’s really motivated by? For my girl she has a ball that she would 100% die for. I bring it on walks and if she really doesn’t want to listen that becomes the carrot.

Hope this helps and hang in there!