Dog search

gbtg

Dog search advice wanted

1) Will this be your first dog?
  • yes
2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder?
  • No preference
3) Describe your ideal dog.
  • Medium sized, easy to train, non-shedding
4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?
  • Labradoodle, because they are good family dogs and light shedding, and very cute
5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?
  • Walk on a leash, sit, not jump up, sleep in a crate
Care Commitments

6) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?
  • 2-3 hours
7) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?
  • Walk for 30-45 minutes twice a day, longer walks on some days.
8) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?
  • I could brush daily and trim nails as needed. Would take it to a professional from time to time.
I would want to keep my dog pretty clean

9) What size dog are you looking for?
  • Medium 35-45lbs
10) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?
  • Not too much of any of the above
11) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?
  • I would eventually want to let him/her off leash in the park behind our house but it’s not essential. We also have a fenced yard.
Personality/behaviour

12) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?
  • Snuggly
13) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?
  • Eager to please
14) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?
  • A couple of barks is fine but no jumping up
15) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?
  • No
16) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?

*crotch sniffing

Lifestyle

17) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?
  • We are retired so won’t be left alone too much. Maybe 3 hours if we go out shopping or to visit friends.
18) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?
  • My son in his early twenties would like a dog he can play frisbee with or fetch a ball. My husband would like a dog that’s somewhat quiet and likes to walk.
19) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?
  • We have a 6 year old cat. She’s great!
20) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?
  • Not yet but someday grandchildren
21) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?
  • Homeowner
22) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?
  • Ontario, Canada. Yes, no pit bulls
23) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?
  • Summer on average is 25C and winter on average is 5C
Additional Information and Questions

24) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.
  • We have hardwood floors
25) Feel free to ask any questions below.