Dog pukes. Might it be his food? What's a safe brand?

chosenforyou

I have a 13.5 pound choweenie, purportedly a mix of chihuahua and long-haired miniature dachshund. That's what they said he was at the pet store but I don't see the dachshund in him, only the long hair and the chihuahua. He is now over 7 years old. Ever since I got him as a puppy, he has puked on an irregular basis. The Soresto collar seemed to exacerbate it, so now I give him a pill for flea prevention. But even before all of that he still puked on an irregular, unpredictable basis.

I have been feeding him Purina One Smart Blend chicken and rice. Every night at 7 p.m. he gets half of a Purina Rollhide. (The Rollhide keeps him busier longer and seems to better satisfy him better than the Pupperonis I used to give him.)

I say all this because I've begun to suspect, but do not know, that his diet has something to do with his puking. It happens maybe once every week or maybe every two weeks. He goes to the vet regularly and the vet he sees doesn't have a clue what might be causing it.

So what's a very safe food that I might try for him? Or maybe I should just cook him some chicken and rice for him to see if that stops it?

@chosenforyou Woah. Amazing you provided two sources that take donations from purina. Slow clap. And also bioavailability has nothing to do with nutrition. It’s a feel good sales “buzzword” so that you think you aren’t depleting the environment. I used that term in sales on an almost daily basis while working in the pet industry.

@kam4031 Can you explain how you're able to tell the quality and digestibility of a dog food based on its ingredient list? Because I've yet to find an expert in the field that believes it's possible.

And, as always, any sources or facts you have on the topic would be appreciated.

@chosenforyou Bioavailability was a sales term I was taught by a major dog food producer who I won’t mention (due to several NDAs). It’s a term used to describe harvesting methods of ingredients, most commonly, proteins. For instance if you are using a fish protein you are using hatcheries, commercial fishing trawlers, or a sustainable fishing platform that doesn’t deplete the local fish population(s). So then you would tell the consumer, “oh this company uses fish hatcheries so they don’t have a huge impact on the local wildlife, it’s what we in the industry call, bioavailability”.

Your continued obsession with a word that was a fundamental sales tool, is the greatest proof of its inherent success.

@kam4031 Again, I would appreciate any sources you have to support your claim that Purina is the worst food on the market. Or, at least, some sort of explanation as to how you're able to ascertain important information such as whether or not a dog is getting and able to absorb proper nutrients and minerals from an ingredient list.

Can you explain why a dog being fed a food like Zignature can develop DCM that is reversed with a diet change; what is it about Zignature that a dog was unable to absorb taurine when eating it and why are foods like Purina, Hill's, Royal Canin, and Iams/Eukanuba being recommended by actual experts in the field of nutrition as a way to protect a dog from developing diet-associated DCM?

@servadac Normally it's yellow and foamy. He was at an Easter dinner yesterday, though, with lots of kids and people who fawned over him, so last night we had two episodes of diarrhea and he vomited his dog food as well. But normally it's just a yellow, foamy, mucousy looking liquid.

@chosenforyou That actually sounds like 'hunger pukes' or what you would see from a dog on an empty stomach. I would talk to your vet about using an antacid and I would break up his food into three meals instead of two. I would be very hesitant to switch foods until you have figured out a reason; a diet change has a risk of causing more issues than helping fix the one you have.

@servadac
That actually sounds like 'hunger pukes' or what you would see from a dog on an empty stomach. I would talk to your vet about using an antacid and I would break up his food into three meals instead of two.

I've never heard of that before. "Hunger pukes"? Antacid? I take them daily myself, so you bet I'll ask about it.

@chosenforyou Here's some basic information, but you'll definitely want to check with your vet: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_bilious_vomiting_syndrome

Something else you could also do is pick a food with a lower kcal/cup ratio. The Purina ONE Healthy weight formula has a lower ratio and is a similar enough food that it could be an easier switch on your dog. This would allow you to offer more food that might help; so, instead of your dog only getting 3/4 cups a day (split into two meals) they might be able to get a full cup a day (split into two-three meals).

@chosenforyou The foamy texture of vomit usually denotes that the dog is eating to fast. Smaller portions separated or making sure they have time to digest before drinking water are good suggestions. Also for diarrhea pumpkin purée will help it has soluble and insoluble fibers that will properly balance the liquid in your dog’s intestines.

@kam4031
The foamy texture of vomit usually denotes that the dog is eating to fast. Smaller portions separated or making sure they have time to digest before drinking water are good suggestions. Also for diarrhea pumpkin purée will help it has soluble and insoluble fibers that will properly balance the liquid in your dog’s intestines.

This episodes of vomiting usually are not close to is morning or evening meals. He gets 3/8 cup of dry Purina in the morning and another equal amount in the evening at around 5 or 6.

@kam4031 If you're unable to or don't want to provide actual sources could you at least explain why you believe Purina is the worst brand on the market? If you're going to make such bold statements on this sub you're going to be asked to support those statements with something - sources authored by experts in the field are preferred but, at the least, anecdotes. This helps OP as well as others who might read this understand where the information comes from and how to do more research on their own (or if it's worth it to look more into something).

@kam4031 The dictionary for what words? Digestibility? Because that is super relevant to nutrition, it is the amount of food that is actually absorbed and not shat out. It can only be determined by digestibility trials, which far too few companies do. Bioavailability is about how useable nutrients are, again you can't know without trials. Doesn't have anything to do with the environment.

@chosenforyou Main problem is you are feeding Purina. Hands down the worst food on the market. Some good brands are Lotus, Zignature, Honest Kitchen. The best option is raw or freeze dried like, Stella and Chewys, and Primal.

@kam4031
Main problem is you are feeding Purina. Hands down the worst food on the market. Some good brands are Lotus, Zignature, Honest Kitchen. The best option is raw or freeze dried like, Stella and Chewys, and Primal.

Okay. I'll be going to a pet store in a few minutes and will look for those brands.

@kam4031 Can you please provide sources or more information on why you believe Purina is "the worst food on the market"?

On a global level, many veterinary nutritionists and certified board nutritionists disagree - their guideline on choosing a food: https://www.wsava.org/WSAVA/media/Arpita-and-Emma-editorial/Selecting-the-Best-Food-for-your-Pet.pdf

Zignature is actually one of the foods fed to dogs that developed diet associated DCM; you can read more about it here:

Back