dog license?

jeri17

i’m bringing my dog to the beach soon and i was reading the rules for the boardwalk and i saw something about having a dog license i have never heard of this? i looked it up and in my state it’s a thing it says u can get a fine if u don’t have one and u have to get it renewed every year but i don’t know a single person who has one. do u have a dog license? what is it even for?

@jeri17 I do, yeah. It’s $10 per year in my town, but if caught without one it’s about $350-400 in fines. We have to have them to even bring our dogs to local parks and in peak season there’s usually someone there asking for their license tag.

There’s a variety of reasons why dogs have licenses (examples: proof of ownership in case your dog gets out, proof of rabies vaccines since you must show this to get a license, etc).

@jeri17 We have them, and I have bought them but I admit that I did not get one this year. The license fee helps to pay for the county animal shelter and staff. It really isn't enforced here, but probably if the dog got loose and the county picked him up, there would be a fine.

@kayleey_your_moon since u got one before and didn’t get another one this year did u have to report that u don’t have ur dog anymore since ur on record having one the year before? can they fine u for not renewing it?

@jeri17 It would be different in every state and every county. But no, I won't be fined. We can buy them at all vet's offices, so I will get one the next time we are in. They are pretty strict about rabies vaccinations, but not so much the licenses.

Back