Dog is terrified of A/C unit

strivingservant

We’re in the middle of a heat wave (30C/85F) and my 14mo lab has decided that the portable A/C is the spawn of Satan. Last summer he loved it and regularly fell asleep in front of it but now he refuses to be in the same room.

I’ve been trying to show him that it’s not scary by keeping it off and encouraging him with loves and treats to come into the room and come closer to investigate it. I’ve had some success with it but he’s still nervous about even coming into the room.

I have to leave him in the room when I’m gone but it gets unbearably hot in there even with the windows and fans going but I’m afraid that he will be forever fearful of it if I try and leave it on for him.

So any suggestions or tips on getting him comfortable with it would be greatly appreciated. He has a puppy pool and shade and ice cubes and lake trips to keep him cool for now but It’s going to be a long, hot summer and I’m going to have to leave him alone for more than a few hours at a time eventually.

@gdssldier Thank-you for the link!! My boy has just started to become afraid of stuff (he was literally fearless up until a few months ago) and it’s been kinda frustrating. I don’t know if I need to be more assertive or more gentle with him. But the wiki had some helpful tips so slow and steady it is