Dog is snapping at cat and I don’t k is what to do

tame

We adopted a 7y/o coonhound mix back in may and we already had a 1y/o cat. The shelter told us he has lived with cats before and did fine. Sometimes he completely ignores her but others he’s completely obsessed with watching her and he will snap at her. It used to only be at meal times, so we began feeding him in his kennel. It seemed to work for a bit but last night we were cuddling on the recliner and the cat put her paws up on the arms for pets and he lunged at her. He has never actually hurt her but the behavior makes me very nervous. I’m waiting to hear back from a couple obedience places but I’m not sure what to do until then.

@tame First a vet checkup that includes bloodwork would be a good place to start with a 7 year old dog. Aggression can be an indication of pain and discomfort,

Don't assume this is behavioral.

In the meantime, use a doggie gate and make sure the cat has a safe place to escape to.

@imagebeastmarkbeast We’ve had bloodwork and X-rays done and he is in good health and unfortunately he jumped over the gate, but kitty has an incredibly high cat tree with many platforms unreachable by the doggie. I feel like it’s out of jealousy but really have no idea

Back