Dog is barrier reactive to dogs outside through the window exclusively when nobody is home

gfxrelay

Long story short, we moved to a new apartment last July and my 7 y.o. husky seemingly had no issues settling in. However, our very patient neighbor informed us she’s been howling and barking and going crazy while we are out and has been for quite a while. Set up a camera and turns out she absolutely DID NOT beat the allegations…she is a monster when we are not home and we had no idea. The stimulus is dogs walking by and our other neighbor’s dog playing in the yard. I take her on two walks per day, one of which is before I leave for work, but she gets substantially less exercise in the winter.

We can probably child lock her out of the room in which she can see the most dog-related stimuli, but there are two other windows she can see the street from. Are there any good dog-proof curtains? And just how the heck do we train this behavior out of her? I imagine it is related to wanted to protect and defend this new home of hers but I don’t even know where to begin if the behavior only exists while we are not there. Would love to hear your thoughts!

@gfxrelay Don't know about actual dog proof curtains. Maybe using ones with tension rods through the top and bottom... That'd depend on your pup's determination though.

Have you considered putting window film on (at least) the lower half of your windows? They come in varying ranges of transparency and all kinds of patterns. Might block her view but not yours?