Dog has extremely weak stomach after getting a G.I. ?

kimv

My dog (10 F mini aussie) has always had pretty good gut health, never any issues ever until recently she got a G.I. and even the littlest piece of any food that’s not her dog food will give her diarrhea now. For example the other day I dropped a pinky nail size piece of green bell pepper and she ate it and got diarrhea from it, when she used to be able to eat them all the time.

I’m at a loss for what to do. Her stool samples have came back normal, she’s acting fine (just drinking a lot of water), the vet seems to think it’s not a big deal, some dogs just react differently to human food.

I’m thinking of getting a probiotic for her. Does anyone have any advice for this situation or does anyone have any probiotics they use for their dogs that they can share?

@kimv If she’s developed an intolerance to certain human food and is having normal stool on her dog food then she doesn’t necessarily need any medications. You just should avoid those foods she’s not responding well to moving forward. However, probiotics don’t hurt to give long term as long as they tolerate them (vomiting and diarrhea are potential side effects).

I’d talk to your vet about ones they recommend since they can help more with what’s available in your area and cost considerations.

-ER vet

@redrabbit Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! My vet recommended a probiotic but I didn’t like the reviews it had. Are there any probiotics you recommend?

@kimv Again, it depends on where you’re located and the stock that area is experiencing. Some probiotics we have difficulties getting our hands on right now, but other places are doing fine.

I never look at most OTC medication reviews, you’ll have people unhappy it didn’t work for problems it probably wouldn’t have fixed. Or people blaming unrelated things on a new probiotic.

@kimv Omg this is my dog too. I have a shitzu and when he hit 5 yrs old he like automatically cant handle any human food anymore. No chicken no carrot nothing. My vet told us the same thing Gastroenteritis. So I changed everything he was on an expensive prescription food Hills Digestive Health but I can't afford to feed him that all the time. I did some looking and found for him Nutri Source Chicken and Rice. All their food has a probiotic and a probiotic and the 1st ingredient is the protein of whatever flavor you are getting. To get him over days when he does have diarrhea I get Forti Flora you can get it from your vet or cheaper on Amazon is a beef flavored probiotic. I also give him daily a bit of canned plain pumpkin. 💞 Hope this helps you 😊

@kimv One of my dogs just went through the same thing. I switched her food. And bought some Fortiflora probiotics. So far so good. I think she no longer could digest the protein in her food which is the third time this has happened in 8 years.