Dog food (kibble) ideas for picky eater

jesmo

My 2 yo goldendoodle has been extremely picky with her food lately. She doesn’t do well with chicken so I used to feed PPP turkey and oatmeal and she loved it. She stopped eating it and then I switched to the salmon flavor, she doesn’t like fish food. I’ve tried all sorts of kibble and she doesn’t eat it for more than 2 weeks. I’ve done so much research but I am struggling to find chicken free WSAVA compliant dog foods that aren’t fish flavored. I need to find a dog food that is tasty, that contains grains, that’s not chicken nor salmon and from a reputable brand. Any ideas? Is Fromm maybe a good option? At this point I’m just looking for something she will eat.

@jesmo She’s picky because she’s trained you to give her something tastier if she turns her nose up.

Keep her on PPP. Fromm is not WSAVA compliant. Put her food down for 15 minutes at breakfast. If she doesn’t eat, take it away and she gets absolutely nothing until dinner. Rinse and repeat. She’ll eat eventually.

@jesmo You're kind of enabling the picky eating by giving her something new after she decides she doesn't want the old food anymore. You've just got to stick with it. After a while they will realize what they get is what they get.

Now you can add toppers if it helps. As long as they are dog safe and you keep it no more than 10% of their daily intake, it's fine. I've used wet food, bits of leftover meat (no seasonings or additives), fruits and veggies. My dog loves it although he doesn't really need it. He's a food hog. I also add water to soften his food (again, not necessary but he could use the extra hydration).

Back