Dog food for dog with sensitive stomach and perhaps a chicken allergy?

snowyflake

My 2 year old dog riley has had stomach issues since i got her. at first we thought it was because she was still being given puppy food. But when we changed her over to adult food, she had a hard time going potty beyond the normal sniffing for 10 minutes and getting distracted a lot as most young pups do.

she has gotten into my roommates room to eat her cats food twice now which has caused some tummy issues. after putting her in my room or her kennel to prevent her from eating the cats food when we’re not home to monitor her i’ve noticed she’s still having tummy issues. my roommate thinks she may be allergic to chicken which wouldn’t be too far off considering her food is chicken flavored.

is there a brand of food that’s rich in an appropriate amount of protein for dogs but is also good for a sensitive tummy? currently feeding her purina dog chow complete adult dry food with h‑e‑b texas pet wet food mixed in. in the mornings i will crush up two of the pet honesty digestive probiotics per the dosage recommended on the package.

i plan on taking her to the vet to rule out any serious medical issues and hopefully get some allergy things looked at. but in the meantime till her appointment, id like to be able to feed her without fearing she may get an upset stomach. i would also like to point out that this is my first time owning a dog so while i understand there will be some criticism, i would appreciate it be less about my inexperience and more about helping me take care of my dog.

@mxchael I would try this and maybe had a spoon of pure pumpkin to every meal. I’d also ask roommate if she can put the cat food up higher. I had to buy a table from IKEA as a feeding station so my dogs wouldn’t eat. Cat food is awful for dog especially sensitive stomach

@snowyflake My dog is allergic to chicken, and it was my trainer who told me as much. My old vet kept pumping him with meds when I brought him in with rashes and bumps. SMH. He also, consistently, had what we called a "Wendy's Frosty" type of shit. On my own, I transitioned him to Purina Pro Sensitive Skin and Stomach-- Salmon and Rice formula. We have had no problems ever since. I also give him a packet of Purina Pro FortiFlora every day. My proudest accomplishment as a mom is that my boy now shits like a man. 🤣 I also learned that he can't have ANY poultry, and that includes turkey, eggs, etc.

@snowyflake Pro plan sensitive skin worked well for my GSD, I think it’s salmon, not chicken. I did switch her to Go! Senior grain-free about a year ago and have been so pleased with her health since.

@snowyflake My dog has the same issue. Hill’s Prescription z/d dry food worked well. You need a vet script but you can buy it on Chewy, Amazon, etc. Also, Endosorb tablets work REALLY well to alleviate diarrhea in case that’s an issue for your dog. You can buy Endosorb online too. Best of luck to you and your sweet dog!

@snowyflake Mine didn’t like Purinas sensitive skin and stomach so I switched them to whole hearted lamb and rice with shreds. They seem to like it and it has no chicken.

@snowyflake Generally, for dogs with true food allergies (uncommon), the way to go is a prescription diet, either select protein or hydrolyzed protein. The only way to diagnose food allergies is by doing an 8-12 week diet trial on a prescription diet.

For some dogs, a high quality sensitive skin/stomach OTC formulation is enough. The one I see recommended most by vets is purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach.

Overall, your best options for food are Purina, Hills, Royal Canin, Iams, and Eukanuba. These are the only brands that meet WSAVA guidelines, like employing full time board certified veterinary nutritionists and performing high quality, long term feeding trials to ensure their foods are safe, adequate, and doing what they’re supposed to do. These brands are all research and evidence based.

Back