Dog epilepsy advice

mike125mike

I am a new dog owner and I need some help and advice. My pit-terrier, Dusty, is 3 years old and has been with me for 3 days. We rescued him from a shelter after he had been homed, returned, rehomed (same owner), and returned again. Today, I was sitting with him watching tv and a scene came on with a strobing light. I was scratching him previously but had stopped for a moment. When I looked down I realized he was shaking. The scene had already ended thankfully but he was shaking for a moment or two after. He stopped and has been acting normal since.
He’s been a bit lethargic all day and has been eating very little but I’m attributing that to being in a new home.
Should I consult a vet, does this sound like a seizure? I did do some research stating it’s probably fine but I was hoping some others who have seen this same thing or know dog epilepsy could weigh in.

@mike125mike I have epilepsy. This sounds like a human seizure. They are definitely tiring, and I'm usually not hungry afterwards. I would take the lil guy to the vet. Also, be sure to protect his head if this happens again. Look up seizure first aid.

@mike125mike Like people, there's usually little that can be done once a seizure is over from a vet perspective. Main advice is typically just keep an eye on him and protect him from possible triggers.

@mike125mike As someone who has a dog with (mild) epilepsy, try to take a video of your dog when it happens again, this will help the vet or the neurologist determine wether it is likely that it is an epileptic episode.
I don’t know what the rules are where you’re living but here (Europe) the vet had to refer me to a neurologist as they couldn’t just prescribe epilepsy medication without a diagnosis from a neurologist. Having a video will help the neurologist to give a diagnosis.

Every seizure could potentially damage your dog so this is definitely something to take serious and contact your vet about. (Also a good time to get pet insurance before an official diagnosis is made!)

Good luck!

Back