Do I need to let go? Is a reactive dog ever completely rehabilitated or forever managed?

fndnstne

Hi everyone, the title is the main question but I would love some advice and general input on how others might handle my situation.

Sorry its a bit of an essay (summary at the bottom). As this is obviously such a divisive issue, I am fully expecting to get some negativity here.

Quick history:
  • I adopted a rescue dog age 25.
  • The dog turned out to be fearful and severely reactive, basically unable to be walked in public. I gave up my social life, spent all my money on dog training and moved into the basement suite of a trainer to rehabilitate this dog.
  • We trained him to run on a treadmill 3 x a day for exercise, combined with strict house rules and lots of training sessions. We gradually transitioned to outdoor walks as he became desensitized and better adjusted.
  • To help manage his ridiculously strong herding instinct (border collie x huntaway) we got into stock dog training, competing in sheep herding trials and winning an award.
  • I took the Karen Pryor Positive Reinforcement Foundations Course to help learn all the skills I needed.
These days I have, for the most part, a normal dog. He is calm, well trained and doesn’t react as he trusts me to enforce his boundaries. Those boundaries are; he doesn’t like meeting other dogs on leash, he doesn’t appreciate other dogs running up to him ‘to play’ (doesn’t mind a quick sniff in passing) and he doesn’t like being forced to meet new people (he takes a long time to warm up). He is a sensitive boy (as many herding dogs are) and doesn’t do well in an overstimulating environment (doggie daycare, dog park, busy streets) etc.

Because of all of this, he is trained to ignore other dogs. It’s not completely perfect and sometimes we still need to work on the “watch me” command, particularly when there is an out of control dog or another dog fixating on him. As a herder, he has a very strong eye, which does have the potential to set another dog off, however he will voluntarily walk on my other side without a command whenever we see people or another dog, to create space for himself.

When interactions are forced, he will tolerate them. In fact, when forced to meet an off leash dog the best thing I can do these days for him is drop the leash so he can do a proper greeting. The reaction will most likely be fine and if I can see he is nervous at all I can call him away and he will come. However, I find myself getting irritated by these encounters almost out of principle (because I know how badly they would have gone in the past) and because all the power is taken away from me and my training in those situations. I worry that if this continues I am going to see regression in his behaviour (because I am no longer upholding his boundaries). That said, a part of me thinks that we’ve made so much progress that fear is no longer the main driver in his behaviour and now I am being the biggest barrier to the next step forward. The step which is just letting go.

The problem is I have just moved to a small town where everyone seems to think their dogs need to say hi to every dog and a lot of rude/impolite dog behaviour is clearly normalized. Dogs are regularly left to roam off leash onto other people’s properties etc and people will let their dog drag them towards me on leash even after seeing that I put my dog on the other side. I am 100% against this behaviour and not letting your dog run up to other dogs is a hill I will die on, but this isn’t what my post is about. The sad reality is, I’m never going to be able to educate the entire town on dog behaviour, I can either get myself frustrated, confrontational and a bad reputation in this small town, or figure out the best way to adapt.

I have already asked a couple of people to put their off leash dogs on leash (on the on leash pathway) and I’ve felt bad every time I’ve done it. People think that I am rude and unfriendly when in fact I am just trying to advocate for my dog. There seem to be a few people who understand this and still smile and say hi, but some people give me strange looks and others seem to take it personally, saying things like “my dog just wants to say hi” or “my dog just wants to play”. I even thought about posting something on the local facebook group but again, don’t want to attach my name to something which will obviously be so divisive. Some people just aren’t able to consider a problem they don’t experience themselves (cough *entitled*).

What I struggle with is where to strike the balance between advocating for my dog and coming across as a dick. I’ve shouted at people over their off leash dogs in the past but I have a better handle on my emotions these days and will just forcefully tell people to leash their dog (I don’t even care if its on leash or not just under control), though I have a fear that this will earn me an unpopular reputation in a small town. I’m just glad I didn’t move here when he was younger, or we would have had no chance!

Before anyone says that I need to socialize my dog, he has had many friends over the years however, they have all been dogs which have been respectful of his boundaries are able to control their own energy, who’s owners who I trust to step in if things get out of hand. There are very few dogs that my dog will actually like to play with. When I first adopted him I had dreams of going to the dog park and making friends with other dog owners. Unfortunately I had to make some sacrifices and check my expectations. I wouldn’t change a thing though. I love my boy to the end of the earth and back, we have a solid bond and rehabilitating him has been the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

TL;DR

Rehabilitated a reactive rescue dog. To the outside observer, it looks like I have a relatively normal, well trained dog however, I know his past and I find it hard to let go. He will tolerate other dogs which is all I could ask for, though I am still quite protective as I never want things to regress.

Recently moved to a small town, where everyone knows each other but dogs are generally poorly trained and ill-mannered. Do I keep enforcing my dogs boundaries and risk being confrontational and unpopular or ‘let go’, relax my dogs training and trust that things will be ok?

@cottonstompconte I do think wearing a muzzle could cause regression in the reactivity, though. The dog may feel less safe greeting other dogs wearing a muzzle. Post says the dog will tolerate interactions with off-leash dogs now, I would hate for that to change. There will always be those people who don't even have a leash, or who think their dog is safe because the other dog is muzzled.

@reimi I agree with LadofSunnybrook

I don’t believe a muzzle is necessary at all in this situation. We use the muzzle for the vet only and I would also be concerned about adding additional frustration to these situations.

Sometimes we see a dog minutes before the owner appears so a muzzle definitely isn't going to stop all these interactions. Like I said, I’m feeling at this point like the most negative aspect is my interaction with the other dog and owner.

I would not consider my dog to be aggressive towards other dogs (just not well socialized as a pup), he has never caused any damage to another dog (if he did I would strongly reconsider my position on the muzzle). He will correct and defend his boundaries if pushed (ie. a rude dog playing rough when he isn’t interested) but generally he just isn’t into it, I read his body language and control the situation before it ever gets to that point.

When I first got him he would lunge and snarl at other dogs but we conditioned that behaviour out years ago and it hasn't happened since. I would honestly rather be a dick to everyone than make my dog wear a muzzle because they can’t control theirs.

I don't let these interactions occur not because I think my dog will be aggressive, but because I don't trust strange dogs that aren't under control and because I have put years of hard work and dedication into my dogs training, which is too much to let someone ruin in a instant with their shitty dog.

Frankly, if something happens, it's the other dog owner’s fault.

Back