DIY frozen Kong/lick mat recipes for food intolerant dog?

deardoris

Hi friends! My 42lb, 2-year-old shepherd mix is currently on Hill’s Prescription z/d after experiencing upset tummy on Hill’s science chicken and brown rice and prescription i/d. She’s doing well on z/d but our vet said no dog treats or other food for about 8-10 weeks - veggies and some fruits are okay. So far she likes carrots, cucumber, and strawberries (all in small moderation, latter on very rare occasion). We’ll be trying green beans next.

Do y’all have any advice on how I can DIY a mixture to freeze and use for enrichment and crate time?

@deardoris I slice up and freeze fruits (bananas, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon) put a bit of each in my single serve blender, making it a fruit smoothie or sorbet of sorts, and spread that slushee mixture onto his lick mat and he absolutely loves it! Perfect way to help beat the heat too! Good luck! ♥️🐾

Edited to add, if you blend it and then freeze it, it’ll become a block. Slicing the fruits up and freezing each piece flat on a layer of wax paper that is on cookie sheet, then transferring to a ziplock bag when they’re already frozen, so they don’t freeze together in a lump is how I do it. Then blend after they’re frozen. Or you can buy already sliced frozen fruit!

Back