[Discussion] I'm confused about AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy

katherines12

So I've started to look into the AKC Canine Good Citizen certification for my pup Atticus (4 month old standard poodle). He's not ready for the test yet, I've just been researching what we should be working on. While doing that, I came across the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. But I'm a little confused on the requirements for it. Here's what it says on the website:
  • "When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
    You'll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you'll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds."
So does that mean I attend a basic training class first and then I attend another 6 week course? Or is it just any course for 6 weeks and then I apply? What if my puppy already attended a puppy class for 6 weeks that covered all of the requirements but wasn't evaluated? He's currently attending a level one obedience class too that's 6 weeks. Is there anyway we can just go take the test?

@katherines12 From my understanding, the STAR puppy program is a specific training program that ends with a test at the end of the 6 week session. Its similar to taking a 6 week test with the CGC at the end. The STAR program is the puppy version. So you would need a find a class that is taught by an AKC approved CGC Evaluator.

@katherines12 For STAR, you have to complete the 6 week training class and then they do a little test at the end and you get a certificate. It's very easy. You can not get the star certificate without the 6 week class first.

The point is to prove that you have learned and been given instruction and have implemented some basic understanding of training. Basically the AKC wants to promote education on raising a puppy.

For cgc, you can just go take the test and get the title.

@katherines12 I've done the AKC Star Puppy program. My little shithead GSP passed with flying colors; it's clearly a precursor to the CGC in that it sets foundations for appropriate handling and socialization in the puppies. I think you could take a regular puppy class and then just do the Star Puppy test if you can find somewhere that does the test like Petco.

We were asked to handle our puppy (check ears, mouth, face, paws), recall our puppy with instructor handling it, do a sit-stay at a short distance, walk semi-recently on a leash for a very short distance. I'm a little fuzzy on it because it's been like four to five months since we finished but I can dig up the form/checklist if you want.

@sir_cumference I went up to Petco to ask about it and the guy up there said that he'd just wait until he's ready for the CGC. They won't do the STAR evaluation u til he's gone through one of their puppy classes and since my pup has already gone through one, the guy at Petco said it'd be a waste of money.