Did I traumatize my dog with an e-collar?

tillermom

I got an e-collar to assist with recall training. It came in the mail 4 days ago and while trying to find her level her reaction went from nothing to loud yelp from one setting to the next. I put it away and have not used it since. Anyway, since that day she has seemed lethargic and skittish around me, especially when it’s time to take her out. Did I traumatize her? I feel terrible and just want her to be happy again.

@tillermom Yes, it takes phenom skill level to link the pain to the behavior. Try a clicker, do some reading, find a trainer certified CPDT- KA. Your dog is experiencing a sudden attack she does not understand.

@tillermom Unfortunately, yes but at least you realized your mistake. Throw the collar in the trash and never use it again. There is a lot of content on how to teach recall in a positive way that won't traumatize your pup. Definitely work on building her trust with you again and take it slow. If she gets nervous from you being around her, walk into the room and throw a treat, walk back out, and repeat a few times. Kikopup has tons of great videos on YouTube. I recommend you check her out!

@dizzymissliz I never used any tools except treats and positive reinforcement to teach my dog recall. She's fantastic and her recall is almost 100%.

Throw away your shock collar and work on positive reinforcement training. Zack George has a lot of great videos on recall for dogs and puppies.

@tillermom I'm glad you realized your mistake. The important part now is to forgive yourself and remember that this is an opportunity to grow as a dog owner and become better. We all make mistakes and you should forgive yourself.

There's a lot of positive channels on YouTube on how to train force free. My personal favorite is kikopup. Positive reinforcement is the way.