Developing Healthy Treating Habits for Pup

rossandsue

We've had our now 11 week old Bernese Mountain Dog puppy for 3 weeks now, and we now seem to be settling on a nice routine which begins with an early potty break around 5 am, crating while my husband and I get ready, and then a nice morning walk with me before I leave for class around 7:30.

My question is in regards to the appropriateness of treat content and frequency, according to concerns primarily of health but also behavior. We currently have several treats circulating in our home:
  • All-Natural Roll-Over Rewards: These sit atop my desk while at home and are offered to her throughout the day (maybe 10 total) for good behavior, like coming when called and ceasing to bark on command, etc.
  • Lean Treats: These are torn into tiny pieces and offered for awesome behavior while outside on potty breaks or walks (celebrating going potty outside, good leash behavior, waking nicely).
  • Petshoppe Natural Sweet Potato Chicken Wraps: These act for us as a combination as busy work and reward. She's got some serious puppy teeth and we are constantly trying to find healthy things that will let her work out that chewing obsession. She gets 2 a day, one after our walk (a calming down, starting the day thing) and one later, perhaps after coming in from playing outside after being crated for a few hours while I've been away.
  • Duck Tenders: Infrequently used. I break them into small pieces and occasionally stick them in her Puppy Kong, which she takes to bed with her in her crate every night.
  • Beggin Strips: Super high reward treat for good potty behavior, torn into tiny pieces. Might have 1 total per day, as I put a half-piece in her Puppy Kong at night...she usually doesn't succeed in getting out.
  • Dingo Mini Bones: This is busy work while I'm writing at home or we're in the kitchen cooking dinner. She'll chew while lying in the corner of the kitchen. 1 a day, at most.
  • Jif Peanut Butter (Creamy): A tablespoon goes in her Puppy Kong at night.
Lily eats 2.25 cups of Kirkland Signature Range Super Premium Chicken, Rice, & Vegetable a day, spread out over three meals.

I realize that I've perhaps offered far too much detail in way of explaining, but I would so very appreciate any knowledgeable input concerning our puppy's intake. It honestly feels like a good many treats to me, but I realize that the grand majority of her treat intake is natural and lacking in preservatives. Also, are there any concerns about treating for "busy-work" (also, teething), and letting her develop expectations of receiving treats at certain times of the day?

For reasons pertaining for the bifold nature of my question, I'm cross-posting to /r/dogtraining as well and welcome any input. Thanks so very much for taking time and helping us rest easier knowing Lily's got the right stuff going in!

@rossandsue With so many packaged dog treat and food recalls in the past few years, it's hard to know what to trust off the shelf. I personally buy local as much as possible (typically freeze-dried chicken necks, cheese, dried salmon skins, or beef lung) just because I know the standards adhered to around me. I'll check packaging for the source location of the products and for ingredient lists. I don't like my dog to get much by way of grains or unnatural sugars.

Packaged treats, I tend to trust Zukes products and Charlee Bears. Anything that smells like bacon-scented play-do is out.

I'll make my own treats every so often with natural peanut butter and sweet potato. You can also try your dog on frozen veggies. A lot of dogs find them tasty (mine disagrees). If you can find a peanut butter that only lists peanuts in the ingredient list, you can cut back on a lot of unnecessary sugar. (My dog's nearly 3 and still gets a little pb at night - her one puppy tradition we kept up)

This little article may help you on the nutrition side of things. It also mentions ways of leveraging your dog's regular food as rewards.

@rossandsue beggin strips are LOADED with preservatives, IMO a very low quality treat. pretty sure the Dingo brand chews are manufactured in China. I try to stay away from anything made in china that my dog ingests. Check out USBones for chewies and rawhides and bones all made in the states.
Giving chewies or project treats (like stuffed kongs) for busy work or teething is a great plan. Developing an expectation of being rewarded for good behavior would be a good thing:) when her behavior is pretty established, you can move from a 1:1 schedule of reinforcement to something more variable. Behavior doesn't usually break down after you put it on a VSR (variable schedule of reinforcement) it actually tends to increase. good luck!

Back