Desperate Need for Pittsburgh Area Trainer for newly adopted dog

joy9

I very recently adopted a new dog who has become increasingly territorial within the home, not with people, but with the other dog. New dog, L, is 8 and had a tough life. Resident dog, P, is 4. They’re both females.

P doesn’t engage with the new dog, if anything tries to avoid her. L also ignores P, except for when she spontaneously lunges at her. Sometimes she gives warning signs - mostly growling - but sometimes not, for instance today she bit the other (sleeping) dog as she walked by.

She does guards specific things (food/bed), but she also guard specific areas, like the fireplace floor, the main hallway in the downstairs, the kitchen, the doors, the stairs, my entire room.

For example, last night after a walk I brought L in, and P was asleep on the floor in the hall. I had removed the hall rug because L was guarding it. Anyways, P is literally asleep on the floor, and L runs across the room and snaps at her.

I kept them separate all night. This morning, P was sleeping on the kitchen floor and L walked by following me, and then suddenly she turned around and bit P, leaving two big punctures in her neck. Again, P was asleep doing nothing, and L just bit her as she walked by.

I’ve had L for 24 days. I don’t know what to do. I’ve contact the rescue who said they could come work with me.

L is not leash reactive. She likes other dogs at the park. She lived with five dogs at the fosters house without issue. She just seems to really specifically hate my parents dog.

My parents are leaving for 2 months and taking their dog, so I will have time apart. My fear is that L will only become more possessive of the house having it to herself for 2 months. I am able to move out earlier to avoid her living with another dog, but I am just overwhelmed.

I’ve googled Pittsburgh area trainers and I can’t find anyone who seems to have actual certifications or qualifications. I know with my past dog with SA, I was looking specifically for accredited CSAT people. What certs should I be looking for here? Does anyone have suggestions of a trainer located near Pittsburgh?

@joy9 I would highly recommend contacting Debby McMullen (Pawsitive Reactions). She specializes in aggression and multi-dog households.

https://www.pawsitivereactions.com/

Other trainers in the area that I would recommend are Success Just Clicks and North Pittsburgh Animal Behavior.

Debby and Tena are certified CDBC (certified dog behavior consultant, through IAABC), while Beth is certified CBCC-KA (certified behavior consultant canine - knowledge assessed, through CPDT).

I hope that helps!

@joy9 Haven't done the consultation yet - but I also got a recommendation from a vet for North Pittsburgh Animal Behavior. Having a consultation on the 14th of this month.

@joy9 Haven't worked with her directly but https://www.facebook.com/SpottedPawBehavior/ was recommended to me for another person.

I'd suggest interviewing with a few trainers. Ask what they do when a dog makes a mistake. A good answer here is "there are no mistakes, we ignore it and reduce criteria until they are successful." For reactivity and aggression especially you don't want anyone who will use negative methods, as they often damage trust and cause more harm than good.

Back