Dear allergies, FU. Debating about switching meds, advice needed

yakung

Hey y'all, I've got a 2 1/2 yr old male gsd mix who has been on apoquel for about a year n half. Started off working great but since last summer it's been less effective. Unfortunately we are at max dosage at this point (2 16mg/day) and his allergies are about 75% under control at this point, mostly environmental.

We've weeded out most food allergies( no chicken at all and seems like legumes don't agree either but no official testing). .

Got a vet appointment coming up and have been looking into cytopoint and leaning towards that from my research the last few weeks but I know it can have side effects

So I'm just looking for advice from people who did switch from one to the other and how it went for them.

Thanks in advance 😁

@yakung Dermatologist would be best. Skin testing and then allergy shots.

In humans, the body builds up some resistance to antihistamines and switching them up helps.

I actually just decided to try switching mine boy from Apoquel to Cytopoint too. I think cytopoint is more expensive (almost $200 for each shot. Which might last 4 weeks) vs $200 for 120 days of pills (at 1 a day). They say if it wears off in 1-2 weeks it's probably not worth it, but there is no real harm in trying it other than cost. It has less side effects too. It's only been about a week, so far, I'd say he has been more comfortable, but still waiting to see how long it lasts.

@fl269fl269
I think cytopoint is more expensive (almost $200 for each shot. Which might last 4 weeks) vs $200 for 120 days of pills (at 1 a day)

Pricing isn't too much of a factor at this point.
4-6wks is the average and it would actually be cheaper, unless it only works for 2-3 wks. As stated he's on max apoquel which is more like $200 a month(since they went up in price in jan) that's without shipping. The shot would be about $150 give or take.

@yakung That's a good price for the shot. I'd give it a try if the apoquel isn't working well Eta: if available, check with Costco with their discount plan for the apoquel

@yakung Good luck, my boy has all food allergies and I actually cured them without meds, thank god. Life has been eaiser.

I found a non prescription hydrolyzed protein food (cheaper. The prescription one is so expensive and you need to pay for the vet) and put him on that for 2 months, his allergies were gone. I have since then switched him to a vegetarian food, and they have not come back. I think he was allergic to animal proteins. I read that's actually common.