Continue Agility? WWYD?

Information:

Delilah is a 7 yo JRT x Rat Terrier who was found as a stray in TN almost 7 years ago. I’ve had her since July 2015. She struggles with reactivity/anxiety/aggression towards people and dogs, had a high prey drive, goes from 0-100 quickly, and has compulsive disorder where she fixates on environmental triggers.

I’ve been dating my bf Tristan for 2 years. He has lived with us for 1 year. He and Delilah have had trouble adjusting to each other and have gotten better but she still barks at him when he enters the house.

I’ve done a lot of training over the years with Delilah with minimal progress. I had wanted a high energy dog to hike with and do sports like agility. We actually took a few months of agility classes when I first got her but had to stop due to health and behavior.
The first private behavior mod. trainer I worked with suggested outdoor private agility lessons since she would get overwhelmed with the indoor class setting.

Currently:

We have been working with a local trainer and taking an online course about Training Between the Ears, which is a program that focuses on teaching relaxation instead of obedience. Some exercises it includes are capturing/free shaping calm behavior, behavioral downs which is a bit like doggy meditation, and a massage technique called conditioned relaxation.

I also won a consultation with Matt Beisner, who has been working with Kim Brophey and using her L.E.G.S. Model which seems more about meeting a dog’s needs than modifying behavior through operant conditioning. This is what I’ve been leaning towards anyways since Delilah has gotten older and years of training haven’t changed her behavior too much. We are going to continue with his training.

We are also currently working with a veterinary behaviorist for medication for the compulsive disorder and that seems to help too.

So most of the training we’re doing focuses on helping Delilah feel calm and happy. Almost trying to rewire her brain to become less aroused.

The problem:

I saw a new trainer advertising outdoor agility lessons in her yard. I told her a class is too overwhelming for Delilah but I’m interested in private lessons. I told her about the training we’re doing, Delilah’s health issues, and her behavior issues and told her that I want to go really slow at Delilah’s pace and just do it for fun. I told her I also want Tristan to participate and work on his relationship with Delilah.

We all arrive at training and the training itself was fine- Delilah seemed to have fun, Tristan was very engaged with the training (first time he’s been excited about something dog related!), and Delilah was really focused on him.

We worked on engagement the whole time and threw balls for her and then gave her treats for sitting and lying down on cue in between the throws.

The problem is the trainer kept talking about respect and saying Delilah didn’t respect us. When Delilah first got to the yard she was excited and trying to pull and sniff things and the trainer said it’s because she didn’t respect us. I think she was excited and anxious and trying to process the new environment. The trainer said that when Delilah tried to look at me or bring the ball to me it’s because she didn’t respect Tristan. He is buying this and thinks she doesn’t respect him. The trainer said she needs to play and interact with us on our terms and not hers. I think that sounds like dominance theory even though the techniques we used were all positive reinforcement with treats and play.

We were playing that engagement game with the balls at our house and she wasn’t really into it and she kept looking at me. She looks at me when she needs something or is uncomfortable. I interpreted it as her not wanting to play the game but Tristan said “Look, she only wants to play with you and not with me.” I told him I didn’t think she wanted to play anymore at all and he said it’s our job to make her want to play and it’s on our terms. We got into an argument.

The pros of this training are:
1) Delilah is having fun
2) Tristan is really excited about dogs and training for once! I want him to want to participate with me and Delilah.
3) Talking about meeting her needs with Matt- I think a game like agility (or nose work, but no one teaches that in my area), could help meet her needs for enrichment and exercise.
4) The techniques are fun and positive.

The cons are:
1) The narrative about respect could create conflict in our relationships- Tristan and Delilah, and me and Tristan.
2) I’m worried with all of the relaxation training we’ve been doing, playing high arousal games like with balls and agility could undo that work.
3) She was more reactive to sounds after the lesson and was barking all night. (Maybe a calming activity after agility like a chew or some scent games?)
4) It almost felt like the trainer was blaming me for Delilah’s issues when she talked about her not being respectful and needing structure. Discrediting all of the time, effort, and money I’ve put into her training and health care. I don’t know if I’m being too sensitive though, I don’t want it to look like I’m jealous of how well Tristan was working with Delilah.

Should I sign up for another lesson and see if the benefits outweigh my worries? Definitely going to talk to Matt and the vet behaviorist about it too. But what would you do?

@notworthconsideration Yikes, that is indeed a tricky, tricky situation. I agree that the trainer seems to have a dominance/pack leader mentality, which is not going to be helpful for your pup, or for your pup's relationship with Tristan. However, if she can stay in her lane and teach you agility, and just agility (which includes foundational training as well, not just the equipment), then maybe it's worth returning. Of course, the challenge there is if she opens her mouth and talks dominance/respect rhetoric, then that is more ammunition for Tristan's new found approach to dealing with your pup.

I suspect part of Tristan's willingness to buy into the trainer's rhetoric is that provides an easy "explanation" of their situation with an easily "solution." And... it puts the "fault" on your pup and takes it off of him. Thus making it easy for him to buy into what she is saying. I think it might be helpful to provide him with some articles that explain why that approach is a load of hooey, if you think he'd be open to considering them. It would involve a little searching though (maybe in the sub's wiki?), but I know they are out there.

Are there any other options for facilities/agility trainers for you? Some facilities that offer agility classes may also offer private agility lessons, even if they do not advertise them - that is the case where my dog and I train for agility. They don't advertise privates, but if you talk to the instructors and explain your needs, they will generally find a way to offer private lessons. Might be worth asking around.

With regard to nosework, FDSA offers online nosework classes. Since you don't need a whole lot of expensive equipment like with agility, it's easy to obtain the supplies you need, take the courses online, and work on the lessons at home. Something to consider.

And lastly, it has been my experience that there is definitely an elevated level of arousal during the training sessions, but they tend to be isolated to the training and I don't think they would undo the relaxation training you are doing. JMHO. Maybe a casual walk or a chew or the like right after might be a good way to "come down" from the agility training and allow your pup to transition back to "business as usual."

@notworthconsideration This is an interesting predicament and I hope you get some good advice from people more knowledgeable than me! My two cents are that the trainer's dominance theory-esque rhetoric is a little icky but I can see how that could be outweighed by the benefits from the agility training itself.

My eyes lit up reading your post because I also have a rat terrier mix picked up as a stray in TN and she also struggles with having an extremely short fuse (specifically leash reactivity to other dogs out of frustration), although it seems not as severe as Delilah's. Over a year of working with the tried and true reactivity training and management techniques (with the guidance of certified trainers who have been highly complimentary of our handling) has barely made a dent in her reactivity so naturally I'm looking into alternative ways to work on self regulation. Do you have any recommended resources for TBTE and L.E.G.S.? Is there one that you would recommend starting with over the other? Thanks in advance and I wish you and Delilah all the best on your training journey :)

@happilyretired Kim Brophey came up with the LEGS model which takes into account the dog's Learning, Environment, Genetics, and Self. I've listened to her on a couple of podcasts and everything she says is so interesting and thought provoking imo!

Podcast interviews:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rception-in-dogs/id1128562867?i=1000505128293 (Cog Dog Radio)https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-bitey-end-of-the-dog/kim-brophey-cdbc-cpdt-ka/ (The Bitey End of the Dog)

Videos:https://www.ted.com/talks/kim_brophey_the_problem_with_treating_a_dog_like_a_pet (Ted Talk)https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqWcI7bnlUUwJ9tbQL7IGFlly3IW_st4U (Youtube series in a podcast/discussion format)

I haven't started the training with Matt other than an initial consult and some basic exercises to work on so I'm not sure what the training plan is going to be but I'm really excited to learn more. He does virtual sessions, and anyone that's taken Kim Brophey's course and uses her LEGS model uses the title "Family Dog Mediator" so there might be someone in your area to work with locally who does this.

Training Between the Ears is a training program that uses techniques to teach the dog how to relax and change their mindset to optimistic, relaxed, and resilient. The goal is to teach the dog how to be comfortable in their own skin and make their own choices rather than micromanage with obedience. A couple techniques we've been doing are differential reinforcement for relaxation (capturing calm behaviors, stress relieving behaviors, good choices, etc with a marker and rewarding with a treat) and behavioral downs which are a bit like doggy meditation. They have a facebook group "TBTE- Teaching Dogs to Heal" which is free as well as a few resources you can buy online.

I think these two different programs can compliment each other nicely! I'm unsure about the agility training and how it comes into play with them, and if it will help or make things worse.

Good luck with your pup too! These little rescue terriers are wonderful dogs but they can definitely be challenging!

Just wanted to give an update. We decided not to continue lessons for now. Both the vet behaviorist and Matt thought agility was actually a good idea for Delilah but maybe with a different instructor, or just doing on our own for fun (maybe I’ll buy a FDSA beginner agility course and make my own equipment).

Back