Constant biting

powlson12

Hello!!

Currently have a 3mo old pit/lab mix. (if i’m being honest i’m not even sure if she is that mix but i’m more convinced that she has pittie in her rather than lab). She’s the sweetest girl ever, loves people and loves to play. That being said she also loves to bite. Hard. I’ve worked with dogs for a while now and I understand that puppy teething is a thing but she seems to bite too hard for it to just be teething. Plus it’s followed with other acts of
what could be seen as aggression, she growls and bares her teeth as well. It’s concerning to say the least but it feels like we’ve tried everything. I mean e v e r y t h i n g. We’ve tried gentle approaches such as redirecting her to a toy or a treat that she can chew on like a No Hide, making puppy crying sounds, and completely ignoring her when she bites so she can realize she won’t get a reaction. Nothing. And we’ve tried more stern approaches like making a loud “TCH” sound and tapping her hip with our fingers, gagging her, holding her tongue down in her mouth with our thumbs, and folding her top lip over her canines so she ends up biting on her own lip and none of it works! If anything, it makes it worse! She’s even started jumping and lunging on people to the point where she literally jumps up and bites hard on your chin. I think one of the last times i realized it was really bad was when she did it to a friend of mine. She jumped up, bit her chest and my friend pulled her shirt down to show that she left harsh bruised indents. Please help me try to fix this. I would put her in training but i just had sudden expenses that won’t let me do that for at least another month. :(

@powlson12 This problem sounds quite serious.
  • The right thing to do is to hire a trainer as soon as you can afford it. The gold standard in trainers are Veterinary Behaviorists (Diplomates) who are board certified by the ACVB. You can use the link below (you might have to use 500 miles as your search criteria), then request an online consult if they are not near. Sometimes one session is sufficient. They are amazing (life changing) but they are expensive and there are few. https://www.dacvb.org/search/custom.asp?id=4709.
  • talk to your veterinarian openly and honestly about starting your pup on medication. Send this exact description in an email to the vet prior to your appointment.
  • For everyone’s safety, it’s time for a basket muzzle, introduced in a positive, slow way with non-xylitol peanut butter inside.