Chronic kidney disease- won’t drink water

iklog

My 15 year old girl stopped drinking water 3 weeks ago and I took her to the vet. She was given subcutaneous fluids and diagnosed with CKD stage 1. Her appetite is good but she’s been picky about what she eats. She eats wet food but that’s not enough hydration for her. I try adding water into her food but she doesn’t like eating it with added water. I tried chicken broth instead (homemade with just chicken thigh) and that doesn’t do it. It’s not her bowl or the type of water, I’ve played around and nothing works. She can’t keep getting subcutaneous fluids because of heart disease. What do I do? I’m working with her vet but wanted to hear if anyone has dealt with this before.

@iklog Ask your vet for an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea drug and then try the broth again. CKD messes with their food interest by making them nauseous. That can look exactly like pickiness.

Ask your vet to check for ulcers or anything else that might be painful in her mouth or throat. That is treatable too, if it's present. It would be surprising in stage 1, but doesn't hurt to check.

The biggest thing I learned in my old dog's experience with kidney disease is if he's not eating or drinking, it requires a medical change. Trying to cater, trying this special food or that special dish, is a recipe for burnout, and isn't a consistent solution for the dog anyways. It was better, every time, to call the vet, report our current status, and see what medical/drug changes they recommended.

That said, my dog always really liked gatorade, so I'd water it way down like a tablespoon in a cup of water. He also really liked rice milk, the non-enriched kind with no minerals added, so I'd similarly dilute that. I made a lot of boneless chicken thigh broth (don't use the bones; they add extra phosphorus to the broth).

I've also heard of people making jello wigglers with unflavored gelatin, for hydration, but I've never tried that. If she doesn't want broth then I doubt she'd want these other things either.

@kawaiichristi That’s super helpful-thank you. I didn’t think about her situation like that but you’re definitely right. I’m waiting to hear back from her vet so hopefully they get to me soon and I can get her some help. Pinky appreciates your help🙏

@iklog Good luck. In the meantime, no harm in trying things. Maybe a slightly different flavor or brand of wet food would be more of a hit with water added than her regular food? I have had good luck with Weruva canned food for that purpose. They have some that have a texture of shredded meat in gravy, so if you add water it becomes kind of like chicken soup.

Back