Choosing a Good Dog Shampoo

remnant72

If I'm going to shop for a dog shampoo, what factors should I consider? Are there any specific ingredients I should look for or any harmful chemicals I need to avoid? I'm thinking of getting one from Bugalugs Pet Care or Oodlelife. Would herbal or oatmeal-based shampoos be better options? Let me know what you all think.

@remnant72 One thing to watch out for with oatmeal is that it’s meant to soothe irritations, the oatmeal leaves a film on the skin to protect the irritations and the film can build up with repeated use and actually cause new irritation on healthy skin. But also know that most shampoos don’t even contain enough actual oatmeal for it to even do much it’s usually heavily processed. If you do go with an oatmeal one watch for bumps and itching closely.

I’ve been a groomer for 15 years and have tried so many products. Hydra is my all time favorite brand, Botaniqa is newer more natural and less fragranced and really good. iGroom is also top notch! If money isn’t a factor look up Doglyness. Many groomers swear by it but it’s insanely pricey I haven’t been able to afford it, hoping to someday!

You linked a brand that seems targeted toward doodles so if you have a long haired dog I would HIGHLY recommend also buying a conditioner and a leave in spray for detangling as well.

If you do have a doodle I would also recommend something stronger for ears beards feet and butt, I use Chris Christensen clean start for these areas that are extra stinky thick and greasy. Then you can use a gentler shampoo for the whole body. If you use a stronger shampoo on the whole body make sure to let conditioner sit a few minutes to keep the skin from drying out.

@remnant72 Of the 2 shampoos, Oodlelife would be the better choice.

I personally look for hypoallergenic, fragrance free alcohol-free and soap/detergent-free. Dogs' skin and sense of smell are so sensitive I'm very cautious of using anything with fragrance or drying ingredients. Harmful ingredients to watch for are propolyne glycol, polyethylene glycol, sulfates and parabens.

@klortch The second part of your comment makes zero sense in light of the first half. Propylene and polyethylene glycols are humectants (they are very safe, non-irritant moisturisers, not drying), “sulfates” is such a broad category of chemicals as to be largely meaningless to warn against, and paragons are a preservative which is used in tiny enough amounts that it really shouldn’t be an issue ever for products that are washed out, but regardless the product should have some sort of preservative.

@gdssldier Propolyne glycol is an alcohol. It helps retain moisture but is also a potential skin irritant, especially with dogs that have sensitive skin. It can also dry out the skin over time. Sulfates strip away moisture. Parabens aren't the worse thing, but they can be irritating. I get contact dermatitis from parabens. I dont use them on my dog because she has sensitive skin. I've never seen a dog shampoo without preservative.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, just trying to answer the question since no one else did.

Back