Cheaper Dog Medicine? Similar to GoodRX?

jamiecouchman

Wondering if there’s anywhere out there that sells brand-name flea and tick and/or heartworm medicine for lower rates than what I’m getting through my vet? Where do y’all shopping for doggie meds? (or do you shop around at all?)

@jamiecouchman Getting a good deal on pet meds (or any meds for that matter) can be tough. Just make sure to avoid brands like Hartz and Sergeant, as they have killed pets in the past. If you're finding something for way way less than the going rate, question its authenticity and effectiveness. I work in the pet supply industry and there really isn't anything out there that is cheap/inexpensive and that actually works.

Depending on what type of flea and tick med you're using, your options may be limited. Oral pills are prescription only, but still can be bought through Chewy, 1800PetMeds, and VetRxDirect as long as there's an active prescription from your vet. They often have cheaper prices than the vet themselves since they can wholesale the items. Topical meds can be found over the counter at most pet stores. Just avoid grocery store topicals - that's where you run into Hartz and Sergeant, as well as brands that just don't work anymore.

We have a local dog rescue that offers $5 doses of either Frontline Gold or Advantage II (I can't remember which) to help out people in need. Check to see if there are any around you that do something similar. Or see if there's any mobile vet clinics that set up shop around town. Usually they just require you to bring your dog, don't charge you a check up fee, and give you what you need for half(ish) the cost of your regular vet.

@cotta FWIW my vet warned me not to get any pet meds at Costco because apparently they often sell expired or improperly stored meds. She’d treated a dog that week on hw preventative his whole life from Costco. He was hw positive.

Back