Changing Dog Food

bongda365v1

I have a 9ish year old lab/Great Dane/pointer mix. She’s recently had difficulties with her digestive system, becoming slightly bloated. She’s been pooping 2-3 times per day which is her norm. Now she’s been acting like she needs to go all day long, but when I take her out apart from the 2-3 times she won’t go. Take into consideration she is a rescue and has had stomach issues a majority of her life. The vet has done an X-ray but it didn’t render any diagnostic information.

I’m going to try switching her food to see if that helps. She’s currently eating Diamond (not Blue Diamond) beef and rice large breed. Any suggestions for good, limited ingredient, affordable dog food for a 80+ pound old lady?

@bongda365v1 My parents' husky puppy came in contact with giardia when he was young and has had digestive issues ever since. The only food that truly works for him is Royal Canin's gastrointestinal diet. You will need a prescription from the vet for it, but you can get it off of chewy.com and it's cheaper than buying it from the vet, and it will be free to ship. It's more on the expensive side, and I honestly don't trust Royal Canin's normal dog food, but this formula really works for him. To make it last longer, we also have a bag of Taste of the Wild and we give him 2/3 RC, 1/3 TotW. You can also try to put your dog on a short term diet of white rice, cooked unseasoned chicken, and canned unspiced pumpkin to see if that helps. Definitely keep in touch with your vet though, and see what they recommend.

@bongda365v1 Danes often get bloat or their stomach twists which can be life threatening requiring surgery to tack it in place. Try not allowing exercise 30 minutes before or after eating and raised food dishes.