Can I mix Farmer’s Dog with dry kibble?

bobmurray

Hello All! I’ve had my lil bubby for a couple of weeks now. He is a 1 yr old rescue. Mixed breed (unknown mix) but looks like a chihuahua pitbull dachshund mix. He was about to be given to a shelter as his “foster” mom could no longer take care of him so I adopted him.
He is the love of my life!

When I first got him, my sister fed him all wet food. I planned to give him a mix of wet and dry food but first I wanted to see if he would eat his kibble by itself. Of course he didn’t like the kibble bec he tried wonderful yummy wet food. So i trained him to eat the kibble (I put the bowl down, ignore him, if he doesnt eat in 30 mins i show him i “throw” the food away”) and he ended up eating the dry kibble after that. Then I mixed pedigree wet food (a tiny bit) just so there is a lik bit of “wet food” coating the dry kibble. He finishes the food sometimes but sometimes he also only eats the wet food.

I saw that Farmer’s Dog gave 60% off the first box so I decided to try it out. I’ve always wanted Farmer’s Dog but it was too expensive. I wanted to see if i could divide 1 bag of FD wet food into 4 or 5 portions and do the same thing (coating the dry kibble in wet food).

I’m just worried that I might be overfeeding (?) my dog if I do that. FD says their food has everything a dog could need so it may be redundant to mix in dry kibble? My goal is just to stretch that box of FD as much as I can w dry kibble and then lessen the frequency of my future FD orders and save a bit more money.

PS: I have been feeding him a combination of dry kibbles (Butcher’s Best & Purina Pro) bec he initially didn’t eat the first dog food so i thought he might like another brand and then i realized he just wanted wet food to go w his dry kibble.

PS, My dog is around 23 lbs. I searched on google and found that i should be feeding him 1 1/3 to 2 cups of kibble a day. I’ve been doing a mix of 3/4 kibble 1/4 wet food and i do 1 1/2 cups of this mix divided into breakfast and dinner. Most often my bubby just eats the one meal and ignores the other meal. He isn’t very food driven. I was able to train him (crate train, potty, sit, fetch, stay, come, off/out, inside) w words of praise and small pieces of cheese bec he responds really well to those🤣

@bobmurray Ask a vet for advice on calorie counting if his weight is already an issues.

Otherwise bombs away. Mixing wet foods in with kibble is common and it’s done for tons of different reasons. Love doing it for my dog too.