Brothers dog needs to be put out of her misery

My brother has a 15 year old Chihauaha Poodle mix that he got when he was in his early 20’s. She has a few health problems and very clearly in pain about 90% of the time. My brother is about 8 years older than me and is a very difficult person to deal with in general, he says he is an animal lover, but refuses to do what may necessary. I hate writing this as I have my own puppy, but realize that sometimes the choices we have to make aren’t for ourselves, but for those animals we care for and love. Everyone who sees this dog realizes how it’s almost inhumane to keep her in pain, his wife has said multiple times how she has tried to talk to him, but he just won’t do it. Is there any good way of trying to get this information across? I am dog sitting her and their other younger golden doodle and when I first got here she spent about 10 minutes coughing, sounded like she was trying to hack up a lung. I helped her up and down the steps to the yard, but I know they don’t do that themselves and have 4 kids that take enough of their energy. I think his wife has told me the last time they went to the vet they were told to prepare for it, but I can’t remember off the top of my head now. Not sure whether to not say anything or what.

@mikethps%E2%80%A0 This is a no-win for the dog or your brother. But one thing I can guarantee is that taking things into your own hands is not a good call. Not sure if that's what you are maybe getting at in your question, but no matter how bad you may feel for the dog, that's a line I wouldn't cross.

I think you are right to stay after your brother, and tell him (and his wife) everything you've seen with the dog... the coughing, the loss of mobility, and the pain. Encourage him to consider making a good choice. Let him talk about why he doesn't want to make that choice. Talk about options, such as pain meds or treatment. Don't corner him, because it sounds like he's a lot like me... you'll just make him dig his heels in deeper... but open the door for him. Encourage, don't "advise".

Just know how hard it can be to make the decision, and accept that some people simply don't deal with it well. Maybe they try to ignore the problem or believe it's not, "that bad." Maybe they procrastinate and secretly hope that nature will take care of it for them.

It can be hard to witness, but you have to remember that they are not you. Try to restrain your judgement, and have compassion instead... for your brother and for the dog.

@mikethps%E2%80%A0 Maybe the CHF medication might help with the pain for a little while. Just my guess, but if it's CHF, the dog might be struggling to breathe, almost like it's drowning or being waterboarded. I'm not sure if your brother has experience dealing with death, but someone else might need to step in for him. That way, the dog won't have to keep suffering. You'll do the right thing by the dog. Just don't let it pass alone in a vet office with strangers

Back