[Breeds] Should I rescue or play it safe?

mpv2006

**Introduction**

Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

* My first own dog, experience with border collies.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a [reputable breeder]( http://ownresponsibly.blogspot.com/2011/07/identifying-reputable-breeder.html)?

* I would rather rescue, but a good breeder is OK too.

3) Describe your ideal dog.

* Loyal, smart, large, cuddly, sweet to children, obedient, active.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

* I have been thinking of getting a Standard Poodle pup from a reputable breeder around here. At a shelter close to me there’s a Belgian Malinois/Giant Schnauzer that’s about 6 months old now. It’s quite a handful breed but does feel doable to what I’ve read online in this subreddit. A very (too?) active breed.

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

* I like running, bicycling, and being adventurous in general, I’d like a running mate, an active dog, don’t need a watchdog.

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

* None of these, but I’d like it to be able to do some obedience. But, I don’t have a job for the dog, which would probably be especially important for the aforementioned Malinois mix.

**Care Commitments**

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

* 2-3 hours easily, I’m home a lot.

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

* 2-3 hours, and dog parks. Longer hours during weekends

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

* I would do it myself and also let a professional do it.

**Personal Preferences**

10) What size dog are you looking for?

* Large.

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

* Not a lot of shedding, barking and especially smelling strong.

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

* Important.

**Dog Personality and Behavior**

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

* Snuggly.

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

* Both.

**Introduction**

Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

* My first own dog, experience with border collies.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a [reputable breeder]( http://ownresponsibly.blogspot.com/2011/07/identifying-reputable-breeder.html)?

* I would rather rescue, but a good breeder is OK too.

3) Describe your ideal dog.

* Loyal, smart, large, cuddly, sweet to children, obedient, active.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

* I have been thinking of getting a Standard Poodle pup from a reputable breeder around here. At a shelter close to me there’s a Belgian Malinois/Giant Schnauzer that’s about 6 months old now. It’s quite a handful breed but does feel doable to what I’ve read online in this subreddit. A very (too?) active breed.

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

* I like running, bicycling and being adventurous in general, I’d like a running mate, an active dog, don’t need a watch dog.

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

* None of these, but I’d like it to be able to do some obedience. But, I don’t have a job for the dog, which would probably be especially important for the aforementioned Malinois mix.

**Care Commitments**

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

* 2-3 hours easily, I’m home a lot.

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

* 2-3 hours, and dog parks. Longer hours during weekends

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

* I would do it myself and also let a professional do it.

**Personal Preferences**

10) What size dog are you looking for?

* Large.

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

* Not a lot of shedding, barking and especially smelling strong.

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

* Important.

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

* No.

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

* Sometimes.

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

* None.

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?

* Europe. No bans.

24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?

* 4 degrees Celsius in winter. 19 degrees in the summer.

**Additional Information and Questions**

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

* No additional information.

26) Feel free to ask any questions below.

Do you guys have breed recommendations? Experience with Spoos or Malinois or Giant Schnauzers? The doggy smell is an important point sadly. Any insights are welcome, thank you in advance.

Image of rescue dog:

@mpv2006 How do you feel about reactivity? Resource guarding? Dog selectivity or aggression? High prey drive? Issues with stranger danger? These are all common issues in belgians and giant schnauzers.

If you are not sure, have you thought about maybe fostering this dog? This way you'll get to see what he's like while also giving him a break from the shelter and freeing up space for another dog.

Honestly, a standard poodle sounds like a much better match for you. They're seem like pretty much exactly what you are looking for.

There are a few other breeds that I have zero experience with but that may fit some of your needs. Portuguese water dogs and maybe Irish spaniels are breeds that you may want to do some research on.

@klpotte3 Important factor of course to think about. I think reactivity and resource guarding is something to consider. I don't need it, but we don't have a lot of visitors, and the people that do visit are regulars that I hope the dog will eventually get accustomed to.

High prey drive is something I wouldn't mind as there aren't a lot of wild animals in my neighbourhood and the dog would never see a kid without at least three adults nearby. Furthermore, if that comes with high food drive, I think I'll have a fun time training.

I totally agree that rationally speaking a standard poodle is a good match and the safer option. Especially on the "doggy smell" and shedding part.

@mpv2006 Resource guarding and reactivity are not something you want in a dog.

Reactivity would be over the top reactions to stimuli. Think barking, lunging, growling because there is a person across the street. This is not behaviour you want because they are driven by frustration or fear and they are exhausting for everyone involved.

Resource guarding doesn't just mean guarding you. It means guarding anything valuable. For example,not letting anyone (including you) near them while they eat, not letting anyone (including you) take their toys, not letting anyone (including you) near their favorite nap spots.

Do you know how to properly introduce an iffy dog to visitors? Are your visitors dog savvy?

Prey drive and food drive are completely different things. Mals tend to have some food drive, but it's usually not the thing they're most motivated by. They tend to love playing and chasing things a lot more.

@mpv2006 As someone who rescued a Belgian Malinois who j adore and would die for, I’ll never do it again. My next Mal is going to be from a reputable breeder with proven lines. My guy has some issues with resource guarding me, and dealing with behavioral issues in such a powerful, potentially dangerous breed is difficult.

Giant schnauzers were developed as guard dogs, and Mals love to bite and have a natural aloofness as well. A combination of these two breeds might do great in the sport ring (PSA, mondio, Schutz Hund), but you’d be taking a risk adopting one as a pet. I think you’d be better off finding an ethical standard poodle breeder!

@mpv2006 I have a ten month old standard poodle, got him as a puppy and he's the most wonderful guy--fits pretty much everything listed. He loves us above all else, and he loves people, dogs, kids, and playing. When he was younger, he wasn't very snuggly, but now he is extremely snuggly. He smells great too.

They can be quite mouthy puppies (and teenagers), so you may have to be careful with young children for a while. He's much mouthier than my previous dog was, and we had to put more thought and effort into training bite inhibition. He's also extremely smart, but he's not food motivated at all, which can make training certain things like recall a bit harder. At the same time though, he's very focused on us. He doesn't have that single minded focus of a border collie--it's more like he's constantly keeping tabs on everything, making mental notes on our behaviors and the locations of things he wants like paper towels and dirty socks so that he can grab them at the right moment and start a chase.

The grooming doesn't have to be so bad, but it's very important that the puppy gets on a grooming schedule early to get used to the process. We do all the grooming ourselves because it's super expensive where we live.

They have a long physical development period, so it may be a while before you can do long distance running or biking together (but that's probably true of many breeds). We are going to wait until at least 18 months and probably do an xray to check if the growth plates have closed.

@josh131 I used to have a poodle, would just keep her shaved all the time, especially in the summer. It’s low maintenance and comfier for the dog, unless they love being brushed all the time (mine didn’t).

@mpv2006 Do you have Ibizan hounds or some sort of greyhound where you live? Not as Velcro-y as Dobermans, but very energetic and still affectionate. There are also a lot of greyhounds in rescues from racing.

But if you’re stuck on the rescue you found, I agree with the person in the comments that mentioned doing a test-drive foster with the dog. That would help you make a decision with less guilt if it doesn’t work out.

@mpv2006 Considering the fact that this would be your own first dog and the things you're looking for in a dog, I would probably suggest going with a reputable breeder. Also, if you don't want a guard dog or dog that has the potential to show signs of guarding/resource guarding you, I think a poodle is a good choice.

I love rescues, I've always had rescues, but genetics are important and each had some very weird problems that couldn't really be fixed (just our luck I guess). My current rescue really made me want a dog from a reputable breeder next time hahah. I love him to death, but I don't want to take such a gamble again.

Whatever you choose I wish you a lot of love, cuddles, and adventures with your companion :)

@voodoofrog Thank you for your kind words. I'd love to rescue a dog, but shelters in my neighbourhood usually only have shepherds like Mali's, GSD's and other high-energy dogs that someone couldn't handle. I'm probably going for a poodle.

@mpv2006 Honestly poodles are great dogs for so many people. Their grooming needs can be pretty intense, especially because of their problem of growing hair in their ears, but on return you get an extremely intelligent and trainable dog. From the poodles I've known, they often have stable temperaments that are good with kids, and not overly weary or overly affectionate with strangers. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/poodle-standard/

@mpv2006 i agree go with a poodle. my first dog as an adult is reactive and while i’ve spent years and thousands (and became a trainer lol) i don’t want to ever go through this again. now i’ve got my unicorn dog (ironically a mal) and getting them to be okay together is going to be a long stressful road. having a dog you can just enjoy life with is so nice

@mpv2006 Rescue! "Pure-bred" dogs can have issues just as easily as mutts, many related to in-breeding. I have mostly had mutts, only 1 registered lab. Mutts are the best and shelters and rescues are full of really good dogs that humans have failed. And you usually have the opportunity to foster to make sure it is a good fit.

@mpv2006 Play it safe?! The best dogs I've had are the rescues. Incredibly loyal, they learn how to respond through you. They really are great dogs that need guidance. They remember the bad side of things. They aren't going back.

@chribs The "playing it safe" part isn't about the issues a certain rescue mutt could have, but more the breed we're talking about. In this case, the Mali/Schnauzer is probably too much dog for me.