Breeding rights? I’m confused

muskieman

I have a pure bred Australian Shepherd that I bought from a breeder. We have registered her online, and are eventually going to want to breed her. I am so confused on the logistics behind breeding and don’t understand “breeding rights”. How do I know if the previous breeder has “declined” or “approved” breeding rights for her? Do I need to ask her?

I don’t remember signing any documentation saying I wouldn’t breed her in the future, so am I in the clear?

Man this stuff is confusing!

@muskieman I circled it on a sample here.

I know it’s blurry but it shows you where to look!

Limited would mean no breeding rights, full includes breeding rights. It’s limited if the box doesn’t have a number or is crossed out. But I’ll be honest- if the breeder didn’t make you sign something that said you have to get the puppy fixed within X amount of time, they probably don’t care.

But you will need that number from the box I circled to have AKC registered litters

@rainhi I see it! Mine has a light shaded number in that box. But it says to fill it in dark if it’s a limited, so I guess it’s not considered limited? Does yours have a light shaded number in it?

@muskieman If it’s shaded at all, it’s limited. They just didn’t do a very good lob shading it. You can always contact the breeder to verify. They’re supposed to make it so you can’t read the number at all if it’s limited. One of my papillons is hole punched out.

@muskieman What registry is she with- AKC? If AKC, you'll need to see if she is full or limited registration. If limited, any puppies produced will not be able to be registered.

Other than that, check the contract you should have signed with your breeder on purchase. I have one for each of my dogs outlining what rights I have as a stud or dam owner. Otherwise, reach out to your breeder directly and ask them.

@christian_testimonies She is registered with AKC but I don’t know if she is full or limited. None of her paperwork specifies, so I’m kind of lost. I have just reached out to the breeder. I don’t recall signing any documents, only her registration papers the lady gave me from AKC with her contact info. So I’m guessing that was just the transfer of ownership documents

Back