Breeder not sharing OFA reg #’s

pressingon2

Hi
So I was referred to a breeder by someone from PCA (poodle club of america) and then asked that breeder for OFA registration and results so I can verify. The Breeder said one of the parents was OFA tested for patella’s and eyes, but the other one was just a vet check for those.
The breeder refused to share the OFA info either me but told me I’d get a copy of that parents’ tests. Is that a red flag, why would someone refuse to share their OFA registration number?

Update: breeder said they’ll show me the records and everything in person.

Breeder is AKC Breeder of Merit too

@pressingon2 Yeah absolutely that’s weird. I’m extremely open with potential buyers. Whatever records that exist, they can have. It’s only fair when they’re investing a big chunk of money, not to mention 10 to 20 years of their lives and emotional energy in an animal that they should have all the information they can gather.

Dont get me wrong, I raised a poodle (who I did not breed, don’t worry everybody. He was my childhood dog) with the patella problem and he was a phenomenal dog who deserved a loving home, but I don’t think it’s right to be marketing yourself as a high quality ethical breeder if you can’t prove you’re not breeding dogs to potentially have lifelong problems. Or charging the prices that breeders who have done all the health testing and everything can charge.

@pressingon2 Do you know the dog's registered names? OFA is an open database, so if you have the dog names you can just look them up.

And since you probably know the kennel name, you can also search by that.

I don't know about Poodles but for my breed, Golden Retrievers, it's a violation of our code of ethics to NOT share testing results, which are supposed to be up on OFA. No one can play cute games like what this breeder is doing.

@davecb Agreed. I just checked and if the person is a PCA member it is a violation of the code of ethics not to share health and genetic testing results with puppy buyers.

I've seen some weird cases where breeders don't want to share the actual reports they get for fear of someone editing it/using it in a nefarious way but usually they will share at least a redacted copy or a screenshot of just the dog name/results.

@hazelelponi
I've seen some weird cases where breeders don't want to share the actual reports they get for fear of someone editing it/using it in a nefarious way but usually they will share at least a redacted copy or a screenshot of just the dog name/results.

The doodle people are big on that sort of thing. If a Golden Retriever breeder did that, and someone asked me about it, I'd tell them to keep looking. :)

@hazelelponi PCA doesn't check health testing on breeder's poodles before admitting members, if those members write big checks, they don't care. It is the reason, I recommend breeder referral as they do follow who does health testing. It is a club where $$$ talk more than ethics. A lot of the PCA members do not health test to CHIC levels and PCA doesn't care. These members also make sure tests stay elective instead of required. I do not link member breeders as some don't health test.

@davecb Yeah I looked up the Kennel name and found them. I looked up the kennel name, but not sure which ones are the parents, but I could guess based on the description the breeder gave me (which tests were cleared and the dob of the parents) and found them!
My only worry is just that the breeder is giving me less than 72 hours of health guarantee to get it vet checked, while most breeders give around 1 year. Is that a red flag?

@pressingon2 Vet check vs health guarantee are different. It's common to require a "welcome home" vet check within a few days of you bringing puppy home. This assures both you and the breeder that your puppy is in good health when you get them. A health guarantee is usually for 1-2 years and covers hereditary disorders that may not be able to be screened for by genetic tests.

@pressingon2 Not being sure which one are the parents is also a major red flag for me. Why unless they don't want things very clear? Most breeders gladly promote what litters they are expecting and how many puppies are in them. That generates interest from other breeders or people involved in the breed. I would wonder if they are hanging papers and have more puppies from accidental breedings or by acting as a broker then they can account for.

@pressingon2
My only worry is just that the breeder is giving me less than 72 hours of health guarantee to get it vet checked, while most breeders give around 1 year. Is that a red flag?

To me it's not.

so some things will show up right away, like a heart murmur or some types of blindness, or if the dog has girardia and needs to be treated.

Some things you won't really know till the dog is 24 months old, when you can do OFA for hips.

So if a breeder is doing any sort of guarantee, i'd want to see it to 24 months. Otherwise yeah 72 hours is enough time to take the puppy to your own vet and get a baseline assessment of how the puppy is, as far as health.

But I have friends who are breeders, who I am 100% fine with, who do not guarantee things. They do all the testing they should be doing, and their attitude is, if a dog flunks something, they'll rebate part of the purchase price, or take the dog back. But they can't promise beyond doing that health testing, so they don't. As I said, I get why they do that, some people don't like that attitude. But if someone disagrees, they can buy a puppy elsewhere. For me, I'd rather buy a puppy from a breeder who has worked with 10 generations of their dogs, and knows what they can expect, but who doesn't guarantee things, then someone on litter number 2 or something, who promises the world.

So TLDR, it depends. :) An established breeder, I don't care, someone new, I want to know what they're working with as far as health.

@pressingon2 72 hours is for stuff that happened while the pup was with the breeder. If a pup gets parvo, for example, who pays those bills, did it happen while the pup was with the breeder or when it was with the new owner? It's different from inherited stuff like bad patellas

@pressingon2 Not doing an OFA patella exam or not submitting it to OFA? If only vet checked, why? If not submitting, that's just being cheap. Also no mention of PRA testing. Are they doing it? What size? If mini, hips? If they do not do recommended health testing go elsewhere. Breeder of Merit unless an advanced level, AKC does not verify anything except titles, advanced levels, they verify last three litters. So standard level breeder of merit is a low bar.

Back