[Breed] What's in here?

jtt

I'll be getting this puppy soon and I'm a bit afraid of what breed it is, as to me looks a potential Doberman, even though the markings are too light to be one.

These pictures is her as a puppy: here and here and here

I just found a picture of the mother here

Here are all the siblings!

Let's consider the puppies and mom are based in Hungary, maybe this can help?!

Siblings come in white, brown/black, and red with darker face..all have big pointy ears, when they stay up

They told me it's a Transylvanian hound mixed to a Vizsla, with unknown father.

I'm afraid of the Doberman not as an animal per sè, but because laws here (I'm in Germany) say it's mandatory to have a muzzle, and blablabla...which I get it, but it's something I'd like to avoid if possible, as there are other million dogs around waiting to be adopted.

Now I know there is no 100% way to know it now, but what are your guesses?

Also, about Dobermans..what colors do Doberman have? Between the German Pinscher and Doberman, who has this rusty/brown/white coat? Or who else has it?

Thanks

@jtt
I'm afraid of the Doberman not as an animal per sè, but because laws here (I'm in Germany) say it's mandatory to have a muzzle, and blablabla...which I get it, but it's something I'd like to avoid if possible, as there are other million dogs around waiting to be adopted.

That’s only true for Brandenburg and it’s unlikely anyone will ever confuse your puppy with a Doberman. Do you have pics of his siblings? That might get you a better answer about his parents possible breeds. Weight might also be helpful.

@jtt Great. I’m not an expert but it’s great you added this to your original post. Some people are really good at guessing breeds and I’ve seen posts where people even predicted two different breeds as the fathers of a litter which was later confirmed by DNA tests...

@jtt I think it's honestly impossible to tell when the puppies are this young. They could easily have some doberman in them. Dobie puppies can absolutely be that light.

They could also not. Lots of breeds have those markings - my shih tzu is actually "dobie marked" and has the exact same coloring - including Transylvanian Hounds.

If getting a doberman/restricted breed is a dealbreaker for you (which is perfectly reasonable) then I'd skip these puppies and find one that is more reliably identified.

@sevilodorf I will surely do a DNA test for curiosity, but yeah, I just found a picture of the mother here and she does not seem like a Dobermann at all :)

probably they are right, a T Hound + Vizsla + something else..but just a test will reveal.

I won't give up on the puppy, but I will also register it as they will tell me to do considering the data I will have/can provide them..

@sevilodorf
I don't agree with the advice to back away from this puppy on account of concern about breed restrictions in your area. From the pictures it's impossible to definitively tell what breed the puppy is, so how would local law enforcement be able to impose any breed-specific restrictions on this particular dog?

If you need to register the breed once you get the pup, just register as mix or, if it needs to be more specific, as a viszla/transsylvanian hound mix - that is the information you have received from the previous carers of the dog so you really can't know any better than that :)

Edit since this is getting some downvotes, I thought I'd add some more context: my comment was in the context of muzzling (rather than restrictions around keeping) particular breeds and in my experience there should not be issues with that if your dog is registered according to the information you have received. You are then reasonably handling to the best of your knowledge. Having lived in Germany, I'd be highly surprised to learn that these laws are enforced on the basis of some faint markings, counter to the information given about the dog's breed, and/or requiring DNA testing (which btw is not definitive either). But by all means contact a local charity/rescue to get more information about how these laws are enforced in your particular area.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Okay, we can agree to disagree. Puppies are hard to identify and their features grow more solid as they grow older. I would consider this an unnecessary gamble. I also have no idea how enforcement works in Germany - assuming it's imposible to impose breed restrictions seems exceedingly naive to me.

"just register the dog as a mix" doesn't even work in apartments in the US who have more lax restrictions. People are not idiots. Just claiming a dog isn't a specific breed when it is and relying on feigned ignorance working for the next fifteen years of the dog's life is risky at best.

@sevilodorf Wow perhaps that's a big difference per geographical area then, hence my reply! I've never lived in the US but I've lived in Berlin (Germany) and never heard of or experienced such issues when it comes to muzzling.

But moreover, this isn't an issue of not being allowed to keep a certain breed, but rather a duty to have the dog wear a muzzle. Therefore detaining the dog and demanding DNA tests wouldn't come into play, I'd imagine. Based on my experience of living in Germany I would not imagine OP to have trouble with the current situation and I'd expect there's no reason for law enforcement to doubt the specific mix of breeds that OP has been told the puppy to be. That's not feigned ignorance - it's trusting the information given. Unless OP, you feel there's reason that info lacks credibility?

If you're still concerned OP and would like more information perhaps you can call a shelter in or near your area and explain the situation and ask for their advice?

@jtt How big and old is she? It's possible she could have some type of Pinscher in her, but it's not like those markings are exactly uncommon. Also worth noting that Doberman ears do not prick without being cropped; they're naturally floppy, but with the two breeds the shelter guessed the ears shouldn't be pricked at all either.

She doesn't really look like a dog I'd mistake for a Doberman if I saw her walking down the street though, fwiw.

@marca1984 gonna do that as soon as i get the puppy!

what's the most reliable one?

i'm in Europe so i'd need a company who i can receive/ship back within Europe :)

@greatisyourmercy24 I personally went through embark out of curiosity for my own dog, the experience was excellent and the hardest part was the wait for the results. The results actually came a week earlier than expected. I was really impressed and very happy with their services. Definitely recommend if you decide to use a dna testing service and they’re available to you.