[Breed] Recommendation for a good, large guard dog breed. Medium energy

joebo

Below is questionaire.

Introduction

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

*No. I have always had dogs. I’ve been training dogs my whole life, although not professionally. All of my dogs have been praised for good behavior, although I’m not great at teaching tricks.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder?

*Breeder.

3) Describe your ideal dog.

*Large and intimidating. (Live in a high crime area).

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

*German Shepherd, Doberman. I like the looks, I like the large size. Energy level scares me.

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

*Would mostly be a pet. Leash train and regular obedience.

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

*No.

Care Commitments

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

*I usually spend about 2 hours interacting with my dog a day. More if you count night cuddles and couch cuddles.

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

*Not a big fan of dog parks, unless we’re alone. About an hour of exercise is normal for us, outside of morning and evening walks. We have a trail by the house, about 5 miles when we have the time. It’s usually a Saturday and Sunday thing.

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

*Would prefer to keep it minimal. I do brush regularly.

Personal Preferences

10) What size dog are you looking for?

*Large. I have the most gorgeous 100lb Rottweiler, I would like to have a similar size dog. Maybe a little smaller.

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

*Less barking is preferred, shedding and slobber are non issues.

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

*Not at all important. I don’t trust others, or others dogs.

Dog Personality and Behavior

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

*Either or is fine. My rott is very cuddly.

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

*Eager to please

15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?

*Guard dog is the point of this dog.

16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?

*Needs to get along with other dogs. I have another.

Lifestyle

18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?
  • A couple of hours at a time. I work 5 minutes away and come home for my lunch hour.
19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?

*Only preference is no pit-bull. Not a fan of pit-bull looking dogs either (SO was attacked by a pit bull. Part of the reason we need a guard dog, besides high crime neighborhood)

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

*I have a female Rottweiler, and two cats.

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

*We would like kids, don’t have any yet. We have a few years there. No interaction with any.

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

*No.

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?
  • USA. Not aware of any.
24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?
  • 89 degrees summer, 17 degrees winter
Additional Information and Questions

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

*Doesn’t have to be a low energy dog, it would be good if the breed is comparable in energy to a Rottweiler.