Brainstorming Ideas for Low Stamina/High Energy Dog

fredothegreat

Hi everyone! I am the owner of a 9 y/o Brittany, an understandably high energy dog, but his health doesn’t allow for our usual activities. He has a lot of fatty tumors, probably some of which are sarcomas, and they impede his front shoulder as well as his respiration. He still bombs around like a loon, but he needs a good rest after about 30 minutes — only to be frustrated and ready to go again in an hour or so. He’s also recently started foraging and rummaging around the house, basically just being a bored idiot.

I’m also working a LOT for the next two months to save for a cross-country move, so I’m trying to think of as many novel/new experiences for him as I can because our time together is going to be somewhat limited. (Working 40-50 hours a week versus 20-25.)

Our current routine is:
Meals out of a slow feeder.
20-30 minutes off leash at a local park (not a dog park)
15 minutes of off leash training (recall, heel, down-stays)
30-45 minute walk in the evening

On days off, we go hammocking or sit and play cards with friends, which he also really enjoys. Just laying around in the fresh air.

Maybe once a week, on nights that my mother is lonely for a dog 😂 she will take him for about 3-4 miles at his pace. He LOVES this, but he is ALWAYS sore and grouchy afterwards.

I think, physically, we have the best routine for his needs/capabilities— any suggestions on mental workouts? I am not a super creative or imaginative trick trainer, and he’s not very motivated by anything but being outside. Unfortunately, we don’t have a yard either. 😑

@doks I did some light reading and thank you! It’s a great suggestion. ❤️ I’ll keep investigating — and since he soooo enjoys rummaging around the house, I definitely think he’d enjoy rummaging for a purpose, ha!

@fredothegreat Is he on an NSAID? I have an older dog who started slowing down and his vet and I put together a pretty extreme medication protocol for him to permit him to continue enjoying his normal activities.

I'm not saying you need to go as hard on meds as we have - what I'm doing is both expensive and time-consuming, but I'm wondering if your dog might benefit from an NSAID right before his walks with your mom, to avoid post-walk soreness/grouchiness.

I am not a vet, just another owner of an ageing dog. I strongly suggest asking your vet about adding in a little pain management so he can continue to enjoy his activities.

@deryon He gets an NSAID (toradol, I think?) and gabapentin, plus another pain med for break-through issues. It's either an opioid or closely related, I can't remember, and it's hard to tell if the pain relief is worth the fact that he hates it otherwise, so we only use it in very serious situations. I'll bring up exploring other options when she comes to see us next, but I think we are nearing the point where surgery is going to provide the best relief -- just due to tumor locations, impingement of movement, etc -- and unfortunately, he's not a great candidate for surgery.

@fredothegreat I'm not familiar with Toradol, but that doesn't sound like an NSAID (my oldie is on Tramadol, which is pain but not an NSAID).

If you're already giving as much as you can, maybe a quick phone call to the vet to ask about timing? Tramadol knocks my guy out so I only give a whole one at night, with a half or quarter of one in the morning along with his Dasuquin, and Meloxicam in the afternoon shortly before walk time.

It sounds like you're on it, but maybe ask the vet about timing the doses to get maximum benefit. If your dog is a regular, they should be happy to advise about timing over the phone or by email.

I'm sorry about the masses. That just plain sucks.

@deryon It’s not Toradol (that’s the NSAID my wife is taking currently, ha!) — he’s on Metacam + gabapentin. My brain is a mush right now. I’ll definitely text her in the morning about giving him any extra / playing with the timing. Thanks!

@fredothegreat TIL!

If your dog hates the meds, maybe playing with timing or dosage will help, or maybe you can try something different. You're doing your best, and I hope you find something that will improve his quality of life.